Toilet leaks then refills, shuts off then repeats

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torchedard

Reaction score
I have an American Standard toilet that leaks, refills and shuts off then the
process repeats. I changed the flapper gasket which had hard water deposits
and cleaned the flush valve area that the flapper gasket sits on. Changing
the flapper did not solve the problem. Should I get a new overflow tube
assembly? Thank you.

To prevent any future issues with the commode, I would have it rebuilt. Replace the fill vale, flush valve, tank to bowl bolts, tank to bowl washer, supply line, and the 3/8X5/8 stop.

Sounds a lot like throwing out the baby with the bath water. Would you also junk a car because of a flat tire?

Since you're only dealing 40 dollars worth of materials and about an hour of labor. I think, a tank rebuild is a good option for an American standard commode. Plus you won't have to worry about problems for a while.

Sounds a lot like throwing out the baby with the bath water. Would you also junk a car because of a flat tire?

Since you're only dealing 40 dollars worth of materials and about an hour of labor. I think, a tank rebuild is a good option for an American standard commode. Plus you won't have to worry about problems for a while.

american standard ? replace the POS with a kohler

Anytime I have a call for problems inside of a toilet tank, generally the only option I offer is a complete rebuild. Anything less, in my experience, is asking for a call back and an unhappy customer.

I'm with Frodo. American Standard toilets tend to suck. Kohler and Toto make good toilets though.

I'll be honest. When I saw Masterplumber16's response, I was a bit taken back and almost pissed. I then thought about it and it is no different than mowing AND edging, changing plugs AND rotating tires, changing the A/C filter AND cleaning the ducts. As said, the price is small, and you are rebuilding for many years of future service. As a professional, it would probably cause a customer to be completely happy and the call backs would reduce.

Then again, I like to think of the old adage that if it's not broken, don't fix it. How often does the gasket between the tank and bowl need to be replaced? I've never done it myself, but normally will change out toilets every 8-10 years and maybe this is why?

I have changed the flapper, and had issues with it not seating properly on the old flush valve. I have changed flappers to stop a leak that seemed for all the world like a leaking flapper, but it turned out that it was leaking around the seal between the porcelain and the flush valve. I have changed a fill valve, and then a week later got a call for a leaking flapper.

Complete rebuild, wipe down the sealing surfaces and check for cracks in the porcelain, then use red food coloring to test for any leak by.

I agree >>>>BUT<<<< I have clients with limited incomes. if the flapper is leaking they only want the flapper replaced. then it is MY job to explain,
that I have put in a new part, among a bunch of old stuff that in my opinion, needs replacing
but,,since Obama has raised >>>>>if you want to keep >>>2500 less per year>>>>you can >>>keep your>LOL''

I explain if something else breaks, not my fault
It is not my job to "TALK" some one into work they dont want or cant afford

All very good points. For some reason, I don't see you having a hard time talking to customers though! :D

Oh, yeah...i can talk. and so can them old ladies. you rebuild her toilet, when all she needs is a flapper.
that woman will go get on the phone and your name will go out over the "old Biddy" back yard fence network.
your co will be posted in every baptist break room this side of the Mississippi, THAT AFTERNOON as a do not call.

when them women get riled up. HIDE!!!!

Back