sink tailpipe too close to inline wastpipe, p-trap won't fit

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ittsmith

Reaction score
I live in PA and I replacing my single sink with a double sink vanity. I have opened the wall and replumbed (pvc/glue) so that i have two drain pipes (and two sets of water inlets, not important here). Before i drywall the openings back up, i test fit my vanity to make sure that everything fits through the holes in the back of the vanity AND fits below the sinks. This is my first job so it was worth a doublecheck even though i measured a million times. The good news is the right side (closest to the ultimate drain, the most downhill,) fits perfect. The waste pipe into the wall is directly behind the sink tailpipe and I have enough room to fit a p-trap.
I have some questions about the left side.
It too is directly inline, however it extends out a bit more because I elected to put on a AAC valve. I wasn't sure what the venting was prior to opening the wall. I found that the center drainpipe i removed did indeed have a vertical pipe running out of it and since i flushed/drained every device above me and nothing came out, i assume it is the vent. I installed the AAC anyhow, figuring you can't have enough venting, and I can always replace it by screwing in a seal if i need to. It could also act as a cleanout if i need to snake down the line (it is vertical so not optimum, and yes, it goes sink, p-trap,aac,wastelineintowall). Sure, it might be easier to remove the p-trap to cleanout but as i said the sink tailpipe is directly in front.
Unfortuntately, because i used a T on the protruding waste pipe, the place for the p-trap to connect to is a wee bit close to the sink tailpipe and the p-trap seems like it would be very tight.
Right now, prior to drywalling everything up, i could move the drainpipe a bit off center by cutting it and reattaching it a bit to the right. This would mean that I would have to move the one water inlet a bit more to the left since it would be protruding into the AAC if i don't move it. This may be the "best" route to go because if i have to have the right water inlet actually on the left of the drainpipe, i can extend it a bit so that i can secure it to the wall as right now it comes out right between the studs and kinda floats in mid air.
But i really think that is a bunch of work and i can leave it as is, and either
1. install everything and if the p-trap fits by cutting the horizontal extender peice down to .00001 inch to make it fit, who cares how long that is as long as it fits and why rework everything. I get the benefit of the p-trap being inline for maximum cabinent space underneath the bathroom sink. When i tested the configuration it was a real close fit and we were just holding things in place (sink, vanity against wall) so maybe I will get lucky.
2. Install everything and if the p-trap DOESN"T fit, simply put a 45 degree angle (horizontal) on the waste pipe and tilt the ptrap a bit around.

From everything I've read, its not wise to get a flex anything, both from a code pov and a hairgunk more often POV. It also seems as long as you aren't doing any vertical changes with your drainage thus affecting the p-trap and potentially making an s-trap or other syphon problem, then you should be good. Also, this does not seem to be a problem with length of horizontal rules as well.

So here are my questions:
A. Would you rework it so the drainpipe is offcenter or fiddle with it after?
B. If fiddling with it after, does it matter how long the horizontal part of the p-trap is as long as it gets a good seal?
C Since a vanity is covering up the holes in the wall, is there a code that says you NEED to drywall it back up? If so, how big of a hole are you allowed in the wall for the pipes to come out?

I suspect the answer is "By the time you researched all of this and typed all this up, you could have re-worked it and offset it, most plumbers do indeed know to measure the distance between the sink tailpipe and the waste pipe, and if they don't know, they off set it for just this reason, but since you are here and haven't done anything, you may as well just use a horizontal 45 degree pipe at the end of the tailpipe assuming it will fit in the gap. That was a really basic question, but we appreciate your honesty about how little you know. As for drywall, you should do as good a job as you can regarding the hole sizes to reduce minor drafts in the house and occasional crickets that may climb through the walls, but there is no specific code regarding that in PA, just personal preference on what is considered a job well done. Good luck"

do you need the auto vent?

from the vent in the wall what is the measurement "developed length" to the trap ?

if 3'6 or under, you do not need the auto vent.\\\

you need to put the sheet rock back in the wall,

couple of reasons

sanitary
bugs/rodents
r value of the wall
sound deadening

Last edited:
I can check but I'm pretty sure it is under 3'6 but b/c i used 1 inch joiners to connect my various elbows and t's, there is no actual place to cut it apart and remove the t that supports the AAC. I'd basically be cutting the sloped arm in the wall to recreate the waste arm connector without the AAC. So although i may not need it, i figure it cant hurt and suspect it may help. If i think i can attach a 45 horizontally at the end to allow the p-trap to negotiate into the wastearm, is that to code? If its not to code, i'm going to just move the thing over.

I don't think you need a picture, but i can get one up tommorrow night, but quite frankly, i'll probably just fix it tommorrow or sat morning so suspect I may miss your answer.

Does a wastepipe offset (not inline) with the drain pipe have any disadvantages besides a smidge less room in the cabinent below?

Thanks for the answer on the sheet rock. (and for the quick reply)

I hope the pieces of pipe you used in between fittings were longer than 1"? That is too short to make a secure connection. If only 1", cut it all out and re-do with 1 1/2" "joiners" and without AAV.

Every 1 1/2" drainage fitting I have ever measured has been between 5/8" and 3/4" deep in the socket area. Maybe an 1 1/2" pressure fitting is 1 1/4" deep, but not a drainage fitting.

Reactions: SHR
Here is a pic, with me showing it coming offset at 45 degrees. I went to home depot and bought 3 things:
1. A male connector to screw on to the female connector coming out of the wall (you can barely see the green tag)
2 A 45 degree elbow that has the nub to mate with the male connector via glue
3 A slipjoint for the 45 that will take the p-trap

I dry fit it on and quite honestly, it seems like it pushes out almost as far as just doing the p-trap. Maybe a wee bit of space difference.

As for the pup peices, i didn't measure them exactly but suspect that they were 1.5" b/c i made sure they pushed fully into the recesses prior to putting them on, but now you have me worried...

As you can see in the pic, with the pup peices being cut so that there is NO space between all the connectors, i can't shrink it back into the wall any further assuming i did make them perfect sized.

I'm really thinking of just cutting the drain pipe in the wall and shrinking it to the right a bit, which is a pain cuz the sawzaw or whatever i have is a pain to get in there vertically to cut away from the cement blocks and I would then have to move the inlet pipe by extending it further to the left.

I may go back to home depot and try to get a 45degree slip joint single peice that avoids the extension of bulkyness of buying two parts. I'm doing it either tonight or tommorrow morning...so if you have a vote i'd love to hear it by then. I'll post completed job pic.

Thanks for all the current comments.

P.S. ignore the fact that the drain pipe seems totally horizontal. The hole i drilled was a bit out of line so i made a bit of room at the top and will nail a 2.x4 board to the interior strut primarily to push it up a bit so it is slightly at an angle for draining and also to assist with drywall reinstallation.

IMG_0684.jpg

The vanity had pre cut holes in the back and since the waste pipe was low to the floor I raised it before bringing it out of the wall. If it matters I did this on the right side also, obviously with a t pointing up not out.

What a mess is not very clear or helpful. Anyhow, I moved them around and it should work. One way trap still seems long and other way arm is not long enough. I'm assuming I can get a longer one, i have pics but am not sure about posting from my phone.

post some pictures of the entire project. Drains have a few requirement to allow them to work properly and to be able to clean them if need be.

also that p-trap can rotate 360 degrees. Almost.

Pic of testing 45 and finding drain still hits it then two pics of work redone and ptrap seeming too long or too short. I assume I can get a longer ptrap tail if it doesn't fit in short mode so I think I am done

image.jpg

It only lets me upload one at a time for some reason. Previous is work done with pipe moved to right but still seems tight (obviously not yet cut)for ptrap, this one shows ptrap turned the other way but needs longer tube, which I assume I can get

image.jpg

Here is before work done showing 45 degree would be too long and metal drain would still hit so I was forced to move the drain pipe over.

image.jpg

if you want to do it right i'll help you. but I don't do **** work

the drain you have in the wall that 90's up..MUST be changed to 90 out

after you have corrected both drains ..post a picure we can go from there

when positioning the new 90..do not put it center of the pipe

the trap wont fit,,install new 90 2'' off center

sorry to be so blunt I'm plumber not a counselor

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhu.jpg

Blunt is fine. Why get rid of 90 up? I guess I could cut cabinet back hole lower but now I'd have to do it for other side also as I t up then 90 out.

Complete view, middle pipe is vent. Notice t on right that points up not out as well

image.jpg

Back