My Toilet lid fell inside the tank and caused a hissing noise...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My toilet lid fell inside the tank and caused a hissing noise near the top of my fill valve. It sounds kind of like an airy sound. I dont see any water being drained, but it has been doing this constantly ever since. Kind of similar to the sound you hear when the water turn off valve under the toilet wont seal properly and wont completely stop water from coming through.

PS> I dont hate fluidmaster.

If you replace it, don't put another fluidmaster. The past year I have been having more issues with those damn things than you can shake a stick at. They used to be all I installed, I don't know what's changed, but whatever they did, it ain't workin.

I have moved to installing Korkys "quiet fill" valve. No common issues with those yet. I put one in my moms toilet almost 4 years ago now and no issues.

I am using Pro45B's, no real issues yet. Had one the other day that got some trash in it, and wouldn't shut off for a little while. It was working fine by the time I got back to it, but I replaced it anyway. Wasn't a problem with the fill valve itself, more a problem with me not doing a thorough flush on the system after shutting it down to change the water heater and water heater shutoff.

I am using Pro45B's, no real issues yet. Had one the other day that got some trash in it, and wouldn't shut off for a little while. It was working fine by the time I got back to it, but I replaced it anyway. Wasn't a problem with the fill valve itself, more a problem with me not doing a thorough flush on the system after shutting it down to change the water heater and water heater shutoff.

Pro45B is what I use as well. The inlet nipple on those babies are brass.
I like the Purdy red cap on da top. never had an issue with 'em

To prevent any future issues with the commode, I would have it rebuilt. Replace the fill vale, flush valve, tank to bowl bolts, tank to bowl washer, supply line, and the 3/8X5/8 stop.

That's a little extreme :eek: by that logic, you might as well just replace the whole,p darn toilet just to be safe!

That's a little extreme :eek: by that logic, you might as well just replace the whole,p darn toilet just to be safe!

doing that kinda s----tuff will get you a bad reputation quick around here

people are on fixed incomes. pinching pennies. you start replacing "just cause"

and you might not like the outcome

old people will shoot you in the .....

they are to old to fight and know in jail they will get better health care

If I ignore the problem would anything bad happen?

Well nothing is supposed to hiss. It could be nothing....or it could be something ready to blow apart and flood your house while you're at work. For the sake of $15 and 20 minutes of your time, I think I'd replace it just to be sure

Latest posts

Back