Replace Old Shower Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogucki

Reaction score
I've got an old shower stall that appears to be 40+ years old. Its got the metal lathe on the walls with concrete floated over it and tile laid on top.

Whoever built it did a dang good job because the only place it appears to be leaking is around the drain and a little down the copper supply lines, which I'm assuming is from a leaky valve. All the wood below it is dry and original.

I'm considering cutting a hole big enough to put in a new valve and then covering it over. And I think I need to replace the drain while the ceiling is opened up ( this bath is on second floor ). The drain is old cast iron I think. How do I get this thing out? Is it a screw type fitting? Do I need to chisel it out from above? What's the process here?

If you have a tiled shower floor then it may be that the pan under the tile has failed. Being that it was built 40 years ago the pan is more then likely made of lead. Keep in mind that it's the pan that prevents the water from leaking. The tile is not water proof.

Shower is tiled and has a lead pan.

Is there any way to repair failure point at drain without tearing out the whole shower? Everything is in surprisingly good shape.

Latest posts

Back