Finding leaks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_Chipper

Reaction score
Are there any affordable leak detectors? I live on a old farm. Water lines going all over the place. Only way now to find a leak, is to watch for a green or wet spot. By then a lot of water can be lost. Everything I have found cost thousands of dollars. Way to much for the little amount I would use it.
Thanks

Do you need a leak detector for drains or pressurized water supply?

I should also add that the value of the lost water and the price of the equipment are relative and only you can determine the difference.

If you want to go cheap, look up divining rods on the internet and practice, practice, practice...I was a skeptic before, but followed what my pap did years ago, when we were in a pinch, and had success.

For first I should know the types of leak that you have .. Because exist to many way and instruments for seek a leaks, and they have a different prices among their.. You can buy a good geophone.. But remember that this instrument, is not simple to use.. You must make more experience.. And another problem is that in a large field you must know where is the pipes.. These you can find with geophone.. have inside it this option.. I use for work two different models of geophone, and believe me, are totally different from their.. I'm speaking of acoustic sound.. For finish I say you this, if the leak or leaks are little, and they aren't expensive, you should call an expert in this job.. It's less expensive for time and money..

Sent from italy

Thanks,
The plumbing on this old farm must be 40 or 50 years old. The inside leaks are no problem to find. It's the outside ones that are hard to find. Our public water service have monitors on our main and they notify us when there is a leak. (This is a new service they added a couple years ago. Great idea!)
And while I do believe in the use of divining rods, I don't think it is something everyone can do. My Grandfather and one of his sons had the gift, but his other siblings didn't.
He spent a lot of time trying get Dad and I to learn it, but we never got it. He was so good that several of the well drillers had him on call!
One of my problems is I don't know where all the under ground lines are. Plus some are PCV, some black plastic or the old iron. The soil here has been shifting from the unusually dry years we been having!
Guess I was wishing for an easy way to find the leak.

Every leak can be found.. And every line can be found.. If one man have a good hear, is better for his, he find a leak before than another..if I understand, you don't know where the pipe passing.. Anyhow, with all instruments for searching leak, geophone or another, you can hear the water flow.. I don't never used a divining rods, I can't help you with these..usually,with our instruments, for first, we find the lines with a "radiodetector", for second we hear with two different geophone and for third, we put a azomix gas inside pipe and search this gas with its instruments..if you have the time and patience you can try with these divining rods..it's all experiences.. Good luck :)..

Latest posts

Back