Kitchen faucet: hot water yes, cold water NO!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WatchDog

Reaction score
Hi everybody, first post here.

Got myself a little plumbing problem.

I live in NY, and it's cold today - below freezing, about 23 degrees F. But I'm not sure if I have anything frozen. Here's what going on.

My kitchen faucet worked fine last night and this morning. But this afternoon, I have hot water, but no cold water from the kitchen. When I turn the cold handle, no water comes out - no drips, no sputters, nothing.

My faucet is new: it's 5 months old, and is a "bridge" type faucet. The brand is Pegasus; it's a Home Depot brand. It looks just like this one:

Lyndhurst 2-Handle Side Sprayer Bridge Kitchen Faucet in Oil-Rubbed Bronze-67136-2016 at The Home Depot

In fact, that may be the same faucet under a different brand name.

The hot and cold work just fine from my bathroom, which is very close - right on the other side of the wall.

I'm thinking something is frozen, or the cold valve is not working. I believe it's a ball valve, because the handle turns exactly 90 degrees, and has a definite start and stop. But this problem would be unusual on a new faucet, no?

Anyway, your help and expertise would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Although a Pegasus brand is not known for being a quality faucet, I'm certain it would not go out after just a few months. With this being said, I can almost guarantee that your cold water supply is frozen. I would open all cold spigots just a tad to reduce pressure, and find the area where there is cold air penetration, which is probably where the pipe is frozen.

Thanks very much for the response.

However, I'm very happy to say that the problem is fixed! (which is remarkable, because I'm a carpenter, not a plumber).

I took the entire cold water flow assembly apart, and (by turning the water back on slightly) saw that the water was still flowing. So it must be the cartridge!

I then examined the cartridge and its myriad parts, and could see no flaw. I took it apart, and put it back together carefully - rather like a 3D puzzle. I reinstalled it (took two tries), and voila! Beautiful cold water, with no leaks!

I'm thinking that somehow the cartridge must have shifted slightly or something. I think that although the stem was turning, it wasn't making "contact" with the valve, effectively leaving it closed. But at any rate, it's fixed. And it didn't cost me a penny.

Thanks for your kind thoughts everyone. :)

Thanks for letting us know. I've dealt with Pegasus for quite awhile, and even have a Pegasus pot filler faucet myself. Give the company a call and they will send you a free replacement cartridge, providing you can show proof of purchase. Stash this cartridge for use at a later time, which could be sooner than later. Their customer service people are quite nice and will include free shipping.

Thanks very much havasu...let's hope I can find proof of purchase!

Ok havasu, I found details of the purchase on my Home Depot account (gotta love the internet, huh? :)

This electronic receipt calls my faucet "Lyndhurst," but the actual faucet has the word Pegasus stamped on it. Same company?

I'm going to take your excellent advice and get a replacement cartridge. By any chance, do you have their "best" customer service phone number handy?

I found this one online: 1-888-328-2383

Is that the one you use?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I can't remember the number I used, but what I do remember was the fact that those folks were quick to help me with a free replacement cartridge. They took my word for the purchase because my contractor buddy placed this order on his account and one mention of his name was all I needed. They might ask you for a fax copy of the sales slip, but I had the replacement in about 3 days.

What you most likely have is a Pegasus brand, in a Lyndhurst series, which usually indicates the oil rubbed bronze style. I also believe my pot filler in the oil rubbed bronze finish is also from the Lyndhurst series.

Last edited:
I believe you are correct sir! My faucet is indeed oil rubbed bronze. A nice retro look over the copper sink and counters I made myself out of old reclaimed barn boards.

I said I was a carpenter, remember? :)

Thanks again.

I believe you are correct sir! My faucet is indeed oil rubbed bronze. A nice retro look over the copper sink and counters I made myself out of old reclaimed barn boards.

I said I was a carpenter, remember? :)

Thanks again.

I'd really like to see some pictures of this!

Thanks for the interest havasu! As soon as I have a few spare minutes, I'll post some pics. The counters took A LOT of work. They are vintage heart pine, a full 2 inches thick, sawn out of an old barn-beam. Which means that they all come from the same tree, which is pretty cool. I patched the holes with dutchmen (aka bowties or butterflies), and joined everything with pocket screws, then about 7 coats of Waterlox. Not bad, if I do say so myself.

Sorry for rambling - I know this is a plumbing forum and not a carpentry forum...but sometimes I can't help myself. :)

Have a great night, and I'll try to post those pics soon.

That's not off topic. You should read some of the other topics we discuss in here! Many of us will be patiently waiting for those glory pictures!

Latest posts

Back