cartridge filter repair parts

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killermrob83

Reaction score
I have a standard 20" cartridge filter canister installed just upstream of the softener. The head on this particular canister has an on/off valve handle located on the top of it. Every time I replace the filters, water leaks from around the red button and maybe also from around the valve stem, both leaks being from underneath the valve handle. I contacted Kinetico because they installed the system in '94. They looked into a rebuild kit for the head, which they did find, but also that it is no longer available. Unfortunately, they didn't have a part number to give me (they didn't ask for it when in contact with their supplier). I was told that this particular canister assembly was not Kinetico, but maybe Pentek. The only marking on the entire assembly is 'Made in USA'. I asked the service person that was assisting me if she had ever seen the rebuild kit and if she could describe the contents. She told me that it mainly consisted of O-rings, but also had a small plate and some screws, and sold for around $8. Anyone have any idea on how I might obtain (old stock) one of these kits? Should I just go ahead and disassemble the head and try to match up the O-rings. I was told by one Kinetico svc center that they could just come in and replace the unit for
$279:eek:....... they wouldn't just sell me the unit to install myself. What a deal!
Thanks for your time and consideration. Rob

Unless this thing is in front of a Kinetico Softener, why don't you just pull the cartridge out and forget it. They really don't take out anything harmful and are pretty much useless after a softener.

This filter is just upstream of the softener. We live in the country and have a well for our water source. This filter keeps a ton of sediment from winding up in the resin bed. Just upstream of that I have also installed (last year) a Water Source sediment filter, which removes a bunch of debris before it gets to the cartridge filter. I did this to get more life out of the cartridge filter. The WS sediment filter has a stainless steel screen inside of a bowl, so no filter element to replace. The bowl has a valve on the bottom so you can blow it down (backflow the element to the drain). Once a month or so I unscrew the bowl (I installed shutoff valves and a bypass when I plumbed it), remove the element and use a soft bristle brush to clean off any rust or debris that doesn't come off while backwashing. The cartridge filter must be doing some good as this Kinetico softener was originally installed in '94 and functions just as it should.

I got my up and down streams crossed from your explanation. So the filter is in front of the Kinetico. The reason it's there is that those non electric filters can't handle the slightest amount of debris.

I always asked "who would want a filter that needs a filter in front of itself".

I was just confused by the use of words. I've never heard of the resin bed being referred to as a filter.

Resin is very much like sand and does act as a filter. Even though it's main function is Ion Exchange to soften water, it will also trap other things that can be backwashed to drain.

Being in the Well Business all my life, I have seen some pretty nasty water and I don't know of anyone who has ever gotten sick from drinking well water. Some of these Companies selling Water Filtration really have the American Public thinking their water is killing them. But they will spend hundreds or thousands a year on bottled water that is mostly tap water with added flavor (minerals).

Ran into kinetico a few times over the years. Any new old stock your referring to might be few and far between. I use blue fountain water in Davis, ca. Go to bluefountainwater.com and call , talk to Wes, if they have it he would know...

I appreciate the info and will try giving a call. The filter isn't Kinetico, just something installed by them.

Called Pentair, as they make the Pentek housings. Sent them some photos. They determined that this is one of their early VIH (valve in head) models, but no repair kit is available.

I removed the 4 screws and plate for a closer look. I have attached some pics of the internals......... pretty basic mechanism. There is an eccentric located on the barrel end of the operating shaft. When rotated, the eccentric moves a plunger back and forth within the head. The plunger has an O-ring located at one end that stops the flow of water into the unit when the handle is positioned to "OFF."

The pics are:
1) The screws and plate removed, showing the plunger operator in place
2) The eccentric on the barrel end of the plunger operator
3) The slot in the top of the plunger that the eccentric acts on (not real clear)
4) The underside of the head, showing the O-ring on the end of the plunger. If
you look closely, you can see that there is a Phillips head screw located
above the end of the plunger. Removing this screw will allow one to remove
the PR (pressure release) button for replacement of the O-ring located
within should it develop a leak in this area.

I went to the local hardware store and purchased a metric O-ring to make the needed repair. The size is 2mm x 17mm ID x 21mm OD. The unit is back in service without any leaks.

FYI The O-ring on the end of the plunger can be replaced by removing the piping from either the inlet or the outlet and then sliding the plunger out through the opening.

102_0143.jpg

102_0148.jpg

102_0146.jpg

102_0142.jpg

Back