How to prevent food residue build-up and clog

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

q0987

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have regularly cleaned the pipes down the kitchen sink. But it gets clog very quickly. I end up turning on the garbage disposer to speed the drain.

The food residue always clog in the tip of main protruding pipe(green circle) and then slowly build-up. When clean those pipes, I have leveled the main pipe.

Is there any good advise so that I can avoid such a thing happen?

Thank you

IMG_5876.jpg

IMG_5877.jpg

IMG_5878.jpg

Well you don't want anything level in a drainage system and that could be part of your issue. Grade at 1/4"/ft in this situation. Also are you running water while you auger. What I've found is once you get the blockage clear, enough to drain, run water until it either backs up again or run water continually and auger. What size head are you using? You should use minimum 1" head on this line. And something that's gonna help as well is an enzyme as preventative maintenance. It eats away gunk and sludge and will leave behind a non stick film so other stuff won't stick to it. Also another tip is I usually don't use a tip, just end up bending the tip of the cable and it acts as a whip. That usually cleans the lines quite well in my opinion, but don't do that unless you own the equipment.

Well you don't want anything level in a drainage system and that could be part of your issue. Grade at 1/4"/ft in this situation. Also are you running water while you auger. What I've found is once you get the blockage clear, enough to drain, run water until it either backs up again or run water continually and auger. What size head are you using? You should use minimum 1" head on this line. And something that's gonna help as well is an enzyme as preventative maintenance. It eats away gunk and sludge and will leave behind a non stick film so other stuff won't stick to it. Also another tip is I usually don't use a tip, just end up bending the tip of the cable and it acts as a whip. That usually cleans the lines quite well in my opinion, but don't do that unless you own the equipment.

Yes, we always run the water while turn on the disposer. However, we should run the water/disposer a little longer and we will do!

Question 1> Please see the size of my pipe. Any issues?

Question 2> Please see whether or not I can tilt the main pipe?
Will it damage the pipes in a long run and cause leakage since the lift will cause stretch.

Question 3> Please tell me where I can buy the enzyme and how I can place it?

Thank you

IMG_5877.jpg

IMG_5883.jpg

IMG_5884.jpg

That is 2" pipe, which is the standard size for kitchen sink drain lines.

It should be safe to gently raise the drain pipe to provide some fall on the piping.

Also note that the disposal p-trap, as well as the twin-wye to the disposal, has back fall. It will require a new install of the twin-wye to get good flow to the drain.

Also note that the disposal p-trap, as well as the twin-wye to the disposal, has back fall. It will require a new install of the twin-wye to get good flow to the drain.

Do you have a good installed pipes in real image to illustrate this?

Thank you

You can buy enzyme from Home Depot or any big box store. Follow directions on the bottle. Usually you some in the drain and let it sit for a while. But like said before you need to correct the grade issue first

Beside the drain , I would check the disposal grinder blade to make sure the waste is being broken down proper, if the blade has notches in it large pieces of waste can get in your drain. using a flashlight look into the disposal to see if you see any notches in your blade pay close attention to the blade edges (do not turn disposal on while checking).

Last edited:
My disposer should be fine b/c I have seen the residue is rather fine.

It is best that I can see some good layout pipes so that I can mimic.

Thank you

Back