Toilet ballcock fitting (professional help needed)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seephor

Reaction score
I'm working on project that needs to tap into the toilet supply line. I've determined the best method of doing this is to TEE off the ballcock shank (The area where the supply line connects to the ballcock).

The problem I'm having is trying to find a fitting to finish the part. I need a coupling that has the same 7/8" male thread on one side and any type of size on the other. I've had no luck finding fittings or adapters that would work. The OD on the straight threaded shank measures .930" (15/16) and the thread pitch is 14 threads per inch.

I know there are other ways to TEE off the supply line like using barbed TEEs or tapping near the supply valve but I really need this TEE to be connected to the ballcock shank as in the diagram attached.

Take a look at my diagram for a better understand of what I'm trying to do and what I need. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

teediagram.gif

I would recommend fabricating one piece, rather than three individual pieces, in order to avoid unneeded leaks. The first prototype might be a little costly, but from that point forward, the pieces could be turned out very inexpensively. Since you are also in Southern California, I would recommend contacting Plastifab, located in La Verne, Ca. If they can't fab it up, they certainly will know who could.

Is it possible to build the necessary tee configuration before the supply line connection to the fill valve shank. I don't know what type of end result you are looking for (hand held bidet sprayer?) but how important to the design is it to have the tee directly off of the ballcock shank?
Can you simply change the isolation valve to a more accommodating thread size on the outlet and build the tee then connect the toilet supply to the ballcock? Toilet supplies can be in 3/8" x 7/8" or 1/2" x 7/8" if that would make it easier.
I'm just thinking that by changing the order in which the fittings are assembled may make all the difference in availability of the materials.

I would recommend fabricating one piece, rather than three individual pieces, in order to avoid unneeded leaks. The first prototype might be a little costly, but from that point forward, the pieces could be turned out very inexpensively. Since you are also in Southern California, I would recommend contacting Plastifab, located in La Verne, Ca. If they can't fab it up, they certainly will know who could.

Thanks for the info. Having a piece manufactured was my next step if I could not piece it together. Would you happen to know the approximate cost?

Is it possible to build the necessary tee configuration before the supply line connection to the fill valve shank. I don't know what type of end result you are looking for (hand held bidet sprayer?) but how important to the design is it to have the tee directly off of the ballcock shank?
Can you simply change the isolation valve to a more accommodating thread size on the outlet and build the tee then connect the toilet supply to the ballcock? Toilet supplies can be in 3/8" x 7/8" or 1/2" x 7/8" if that would make it easier.
I'm just thinking that by changing the order in which the fittings are assembled may make all the difference in availability of the materials.

Yes. If I change the configuration, it would make things much easier. The main reason I want to have it tee off the ballcock shank is so anyone can connect it up without using any tools (in theory) since the ballcock nut is supposed to be hand tightened. Thanks for the suggestion.

After a little more research, I came across a product by Sioux Chief for pipe hammer. It looks like they have designed the exact TEE configuration I'm looking for. Perhaps they would let me purchase the TEE only without the hammer arrester. The complete product retails for about $20 so it would be not feasible for mass production.

siouxchief.jpg

There was another post not too long ago where a person was looking to fabricate a new item (invention) and described a similar setup. He couldn't discuss details because of patenting. Curious if the two are related.

There was another post not too long ago where a person was looking to fabricate a new item (invention) and described a similar setup. He couldn't discuss details because of patenting. Curious if the two are related.

I was wondering the same thing? This is the reason I would recommend having the pieces custom fabricated, because if there was a need for a quantity of them, it would surely be cheaper in the end.

Nope, not related. I didn't know about this other thread but it sure does seem like he's doing a similar setup. I think I'm a little further in the knowledge area though :) Thanks for the help thus far. I think it has been determined that it's not possible to fabricate this from existing parts on the market. It must be custom made and that's the path I'm taking now. Depending on the costs involved, it'll either be a hit or miss... we'll see.

I once had a middle-easterner customer ask me to rig up a kitchen side-sprayer to his toilet supply line so it could be used for washing his ass. I declined out of professionalism but I did explain to him how to do it himself. I wonder if this is something similar?

Last edited by a moderator:
if your trying to make a water sprayer at the toilet, simply install a 3/8 x 3/8 angle stop, if this is your idea, be aware of backflow restrictions that will send your idea to the grave...

Water sprayers/hand held bidets for attachment to the toilet supply are readily available at many supply houses and big box stores.

they make a fitting that installs on the top of the anglestop. and 3/8 by 3/8 tee. instead of installing it at the toilet install it at the anglestop. they sell it at any fergusons or plumbing supply.

they make a fitting that installs on the top of the anglestop. and 3/8 by 3/8 tee. instead of installing it at the toilet install it at the anglestop. they sell it at any fergusons or plumbing supply.

We have Washlet s300 by TOTO.
e316beafef06.jpg

However the Russian toilet.But the shut-off valve toilet with a British thread. What we need is an adapter. But what type of thread from the tee I do not know. Prompt type of thread please.

Latest posts

Back