Pipe leeking.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yowsa

Reaction score
I have a leaking issue from a pipe in the wall behind my washer and dryer. There is a round steel plate on the wall a bit below eye-level (I assume the placement is intentional), and moisture has started seeping into the sheetrock from behind it. I took the plate off, and there is a capped plumbing pipe there. Has anyone ever heard of this? I've been in this house for four years now, and bought it new. I'm wondering if tightening the cap is the answer. But if that is the answer, I would think it would have started a long time ago.
Nothing has changed in my laundry room. Same washer, etc.

Could this be a "clean out?" If so, I would recommend taking it apart, cleaning it, and tightening it back in place.

Washing machine drains are famous for clogs due to lint (think about how much lint is in the dryer screen). There may be a clog that is partial, and when the machine discharges, the water backs up, causing the leak. I would agree with the capped pipe being a clean-out since i can;t think of another reason for it being there.

Latest posts

Back