Please help as to why these pipes are leaking slighly after turning on water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fusion916

Reaction score
So I just replace the hose bibb and added a T connector my water service from the basement out to the front and for some reason I'm getting very slightly leaks from a few of these connectors. On the T, as you can see from the picture, the back part of the T is connected to the water line, the front part I connected a hose bib, and the bottom part I have a pipe going down that I am going to connect to my irrigation system tomorrow.

The pipe is galvanized steel and I connected each pipe by wrapping teflon tape and screwing them in tight with a pipe wrench.

Everything feels solid (doesn't move) and looks good to me, but slightly leaks (small drips every 10 seconds or so) are still occurring.

What could be the issue? Not enough teflon tape? Too much teflon tape? Not tight enough? Too tight?

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

I like to use Teflon, pipe dope, and tighten them nice and tight with a couple of pipe wrenches.

Not tight enough. If that doesn't work retape the joint and also use pipe dope over the tape.

I only have 1 pipe wrench so I couldn't tighten it super tight, I guess I'll buy that and some pipe dope today and redo these joints.

So it's teflon tape -> pipe dope over teflon tape -> tighten very tight with pipe trench? There is no such thing as too tight? No treat of cracking?

Also, how many loops of teflon tape do I need to wrap? is 4 good?

4 should be good, ive never had a leak from too much teflon though. I like to use the pink T tape as its slightly thinker ( same stuff though ) and I wrap it 2-3 times. You NEED 2 pipe wrenches when working on pipe one for tightening and one for backup ( so the fitting doesnt turn on you ) there IS too tight and you will achieve this when the malleablle iron cracks ( dont go there ) remeber a 2 liter pop bottle holds 80 psi usually pretty easy and you dont crank the hell out of it. the threads on Black iron have a 30 degree taper that makes the primary seal, tape and dope are added means to be sure threads are good and imperfections in pipe thread and mating surfaces are compattiblle. :)

also 2 pipe wrenches because you can imagine the can of worms you open up if you spin fittings IN the wall :)

4 should be good, ive never had a leak from too much teflon though. I like to use the pink T tape as its slightly thinker ( same stuff though ) and I wrap it 2-3 times. You NEED 2 pipe wrenches when working on pipe one for tightening and one for backup ( so the fitting doesnt turn on you ) there IS too tight and you will achieve this when the malleablle iron cracks ( dont go there ) remeber a 2 liter pop bottle holds 80 psi usually pretty easy and you dont crank the hell out of it. the threads on Black iron have a 30 degree taper that makes the primary seal, tape and dope are added means to be sure threads are good and imperfections in pipe thread and mating surfaces are compattiblle. :)

Great thanks for the explanation. I know two pipe wrenches are better but I was trying to be cheap :D

So there is a such thing as too tight, any tips on how tight I can go without cracking the pipe?

Also, what brand is the pink teflon tape you use? Any particular brand of pipe dope you recommend?

Rectorseal #5, and leave the teflon tape in the drawer. it will lubricate, allowing a tighter seating, and has stop leak abilities.

Rectorseal #5, and leave the teflon tape in the drawer. it will lubricate, allowing a tighter seating, and has stop leak abilities.

So you simply pour this liquid around the threads and tighten? That's it?

It has the consistency of toothpaste. Trust me, since I started using this stuff, I never use that cumbersome teflon tape.

I have got to the point that I use blue teflon tape, with Rectorseal #5 on top of that. That combination seems to be the most effective to prevent leaks of any that I have tried to date.

If I had to choose, I would use just the Rectorseal #5, but I don't have to choose.

Everytime I have seen someone use just white teflon tape on galvanized pipe, I have seen leaks.

And yes, you do need 2 pipe wrenches to properly accomplish such a job.

Latest posts

Back