Best DIY Snake for Bathroom Sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solid

Reaction score
Happy Holidays Everyone!

So, My upstairs bathroom sink drains terribly slow, and now has standing water. I've taken apart the trap and it is very clean, and I also tried using a wet vac to clear any block, with no luck. Here is a picture of the plumbing (not sure if this will help):

new-pipes.jpg

This may look familiar to some of you - that's because I recently replaced leaking galvanized nipples with brass you see here (thanks for the help!). I noticed that the drain for this sink is also galvanized pipe, and I have a feeling that the inside of this pipe will be just as clogged up with black stuff as the old nipples were. I have about 3' - 4' from the PVC/galvanized junction to the main stack (behind the wall). Can you guys recommend a tool to clear this line that I can pick up at one of the big box stores, that actually works?

I have one and use it professionally for bathroom sinks. This puppy can go right through the trap. It's good for bathroom sinks but its a bit small for kitchen sinks but I have used it before. This one is at Home Depot. Personally I cut the head off and bend the end and use it that way. Tin snips will cut it off

image-2284997120.jpg

Thanks Stevemachine. I guess the title of this post should've been:

"Least Expensive Thing I Can Buy At Home Depot on Christmas Eve to Clear a Completely Blocked Drain before My Relatives Show Up"

I saw that on their website, but I really didn't want to spend that much right now. Do you think any of the small Ridgid hand crank (or, drill-adaptable) units would do anything?

Like this for example:
70675950-faad-4b35-aa73-de7bbc813fb8_300.jpg

Last edited:
Well I've used hand snakes before. Sometimes they work and sometimes they just aren't strong enough. If its drill adaptable then I would say go for it and it should at least get it running

Thanks Stevemachine. I guess the title of this post should've been:

"Least Expensive Thing I Can Buy At Home Depot on Christmas Eve to Clear a Completely Blocked Drain before My Relatives Show Up"

I saw that on their website, but I really didn't want to spend that much right now. Do you think any of the small Ridgid hand crank (or, drill-adaptable) units would do anything?

Like this for example:
70675950-faad-4b35-aa73-de7bbc813fb8_300.jpg
Hand crank or drill can get the job done. However, depending on the clog sometimes you need a snake with some horse-power. Check with your local home depot to see if they have any snakes available for rent

Yeah agreed, maybe a rental could be your best bet. Just be super careful if you use a drill or power one. There's always the possibility of the cable binding and catching your fingers in the process. But you're usually pretty safe with the smaller drill ones as opposed to the big main line machines

Thanks for the replies everyone, and Merry Christmas!

Hmmm, I think I found the problem!
clog1.jpg

100% blocked
clog2.jpg

I ended up making it to Home Depot 1hr. before closing, and picked up the last Ridgid Power spin that they had on the shelf:
b4eb2821-c626-497b-b79e-d25e7d33877d_300.jpg

It has the option to attach to a cordless drill, but I just used the hand crank. It pulled out some hair, but mostly it was blocked up with black slime - the same stuff that I found in the Nipples that I replaced. I'm assuming that this is from the galvanized pipe? Not sure. It works just fine now.

I'm planning on opening up the wall in this area anyway, so I was going to try to replace this small section with PVC - depending on how it attaches to the main behind the wall. When I get to that point, I will post a new topic. Thanks again everyone!

Yeah galvanized is awful whether it be drainage or water supply. Everything sticks to the wall then it closes itself off. Glad to hear you got it clear!

I like that little ridgid shop vac looking snake. I picked one up on a whim, and I use it quite a bit. There is a bushing in the drum where the cable feeds through that needs to be occasionally cleaned/lubed or the cable won't pull out easily. Fyi.

Steve, how is that snake on tub drains through the overflow? We have been using the small drill type machine that I have never been to happy with. Being that I don't have three hand to operate it.

John

Honestly John it works like a dream. I've unplugged a lot of tubs and it'll go right through the trap usually in my experience. It's so much easier to use than a drill auger. My wrist gets sore with a drill auger. You can't change heads on it but I just cut the head off with snips and bend the end and it works well for me.

Yeah I can imagine, hard to give up working after doing it for so many years. And no problem, I'd highly recommend it. Just a bit of maintenance is needed, grease the bearings and as I just learnt grease the bearing in the drum and you are set.

Yeah, if you remove the three screws the hold the front on, you'll see the drum inside. The cable should pull out by hand easily, if not it must be cleaned/lubed.

Latest posts

Back