How to remove tub handles with no cover or screws

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmonty

Reaction score
Have dripping spout in the tub and shower so i am looking to replace the round rubber washer in the stems. Hot and cold water handles have no caps\covers\screws or manufacturer name anywhere. Does anyone know the manufacturer of these , they were probably installed in the 1970's ? Can anyone help tell me how to remove the handles. Pics attached . Thanks

20140715_075857.jpg

20140715_075849.jpg

20140708_201758.jpg

20140708_201807.jpg

Last edited:
try to unscrew the base of the handle counterclockwise. sometimes this is what needs to be done if there is no set screw. in the center of the handle is that a plastic cap that can be taken out to reveal a screw

Thanks, the blue and red dots in the center of the handle do not come off, they are printed in color on the handle. No caps, screws to get this off. Anyone know how to remove these handles ?

Thanks, i tried pulling them off. They feel like they are locked on by something.

it may take some force if they have been there since the 70's. there is probably a lock ring and tons of build up from corrosion holding them on

I agree with John, the handle should pop off. By the look of the handles the valve looks to be a high end faucet/valve. Grohe, Raphael, or some other foreign brand. Grab the handle firmly and give it a hard pull/jerk, it may be hard to pop off but it should pop off. Some of the old high end faucet manufacturer used pop off handles to give the fixture that clean line look.

Back