Can you adjust fluid master 400 fill valve with out removing?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My uncle put in a fluid master fill valve for my mother in law. The problem after a few days is the toilet tank doesn't fill up enough and the pressure when flushing is weak due to a lack of water. I believe the fill valve needs to be adjusted about an inch higher.

Is there any way I can adjust it with out taking fill valve out of toilet? I reached in there and tried to twist it but am scared of breaking it. Also they say you could raise it by turning screw clock wise, but that also doesn't work.

This is the fill valve

3962d1375759964-fluidmaster-400-problem-2f8b4126-a36e-4b8a-acaf-7fe4dd7b1ebd_400.jpg

Also can I remove plastic screw and put it back on? Again I am scared of breaking it.

Yes, adjustments can be made while it is installed in the toilet, but small and nimble hands are mandatory to achieve this. In order to adjust the Fluidmaster valve up or down, it is first necessary to lift up the locking ring about 1/4", then the shaft can be twisted up or down. When the proper level is found, push the locking ring back down. Also, the plastic screw should not be removed.

Thanks so much for that. I lifted the locking ring, but it still doesn't seem that I can raise the shaft. It feels like its locked and if I raise it I will break it. Do I twist the bottom or mid part of the shaft? Will try it tonight!

Hold the bottom (black part of shaft) and while lifting the lock ring, twist the grey part of the shaft counter clockwise, with you looking down on it. If you are even a bit unsure, spend another 3 minutes and totally remove it to see how it works.

Hold the bottom (black part of shaft) and while lifting the lock ring, twist the grey part of the shaft counter clockwise, with you looking down on it. If you are even a bit unsure, spend another 3 minutes and totally remove it to see how it works.

Thank you so much, I adjusted the fill valve to the proper height and there is more water in tank and flush is more powerful. The problem now is that flapper still closes too quickly. I adjusted the chain back and forth (longer and shorter and its still closes to quickly. Could the flapper be the problem it's very old?

For a few bucks, a new flapper will finish your needs. Chain adjustments can be tedious, but when you find the sweet spot, it'll flush perfectly.

For a few bucks, a new flapper will finish your needs. Chain adjustments can be tedious, but when you find the sweet spot, it'll flush perfectly.

Thank you so much, I got it to flush properly will get a new flapper for good measure!

I need to adjust my fluidmaster so it will stop filling before it overflows when there is a clog in the bowl. Thank you for any advice.

Latest posts

Back