Eccotemp Brand Tankless Water Heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is Eccotemp a reliable brand or is it junk!

• Reliable!

• Junk!

Results are only viewable after voting.

StevenW1969

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with an Eccotemp Brand Tankless water heaters. I'm currently renovating an old home on a budget. I know the old saying you get what you pay for but, I have read alot of reviews and This one seems to get a lot of good reviews. The house is a two bedroom, one large bathroom and a medium sized kitchen. My wife and I will be the only two living here full time and a 2 year old Grand daughter 2-3 days a week. Below are the specs for this unit. Maybe an honest opinion on if it is adequate or not for us. Thanks!

Product Specifications
------------------------
Brand Eccotemp
Model 40 HI-NG
Depth 4
Width 17
Height 8

Energy Factor .8
Fuel Type Natural Gas
Gas Connection 3/4"
GPM 6.3
Ignition Type Electric
Plug In yes
Total BTUs 135000
UL Listed Yes
Voltage 110
Water Connection 1/2"

Never heard if this product.

But what I can say is this.

Wen you go to determine what tankless you get one must look at flow rate , not number of baths. Down to each faucet, for example, faucet it 1.6 ( unless it has special aerators ) tub is 2.5 gpm and so on. Mainly I tell people take into account that u want enough hot water so that someone can shower and two faucets are on. Tht should be enough.

Another thing is the temperature rise from the main water. The hotter the water from the main the closer you'll be to the 6.5 gpm.

Here in Sacramento we have a 45 degree rise so the gpm at the tankless is -2 gpm than what it says .

So that water heater I would not recommend here due to its gpm is about 4.5. Meaning you'd only be able to to a shower ad as soon as you turn the faucet on you lose hot water

Many tankless guys forget this and have costly recalls because they don't explain this to homeowners.

After much discussion with my wife and looking into the pro's and cons we have decided that the tankless type water heater will not work for us. We do not feel comfortable with the idea that the water will stop heating if you turn on too many faucets. and in order for that not too happen we would require a unit that cost more than we can currently afford so we will stick to the old reliable tank type for now. Thanks for the input it has helped alot.

I feel that is an excellent decision. For most home's tank type heaters will supply you with all your hot water needs. In my opinion tankless water heaters save very little due to their initial cost along with their maintenance costs.

Latest posts

Back