Sulfer and black growth in toilet.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GordonA

Reaction score
Hello all. So I am on city water and the only place this happens is in the back bathroom and only in the one toilet. The shower and sink back there don't have that smell nor anywhere in the house. I have replaced the wax on the toilet twice.

It seems to only happen in the winter and clears up in the summer.

Can you explain why and how to fix it?

Thanks

City water usually has chlorinated water. If you don't use those fixtures very often, bacteria can start growing once the chlorine dissipates in those lines. Friends of ours had a Townhome that was on the end of the line water wise. They had the odor quite often especially in the unused bathroom. (The one I used when visiting) The water there always stunk until it ran for a few minutes.

Hello all. So I am on city water and the only place this happens is in the back bathroom and only in the one toilet. The shower and sink back there don't have that smell nor anywhere in the house. I have replaced the wax on the toilet twice.

It seems to only happen in the winter and clears up in the summer.

Can you explain why and how to fix it?

Thanks

The growth seems like an accumulation of bacteria. Try a bleach powered tablet drop in the back of your tank (Clorox or other similar brand) to see if that helps with the problem at all.

The growth seems like an accumulation of bacteria. Try a bleach powered tablet drop in the back of your tank (Clorox or other similar brand) to see if that helps with the problem at all.

I'm not a fan of chlorine bleach tablets in the toilet tank. They will shorten the life of the toilet inner parts (all parts). Had a service call where the home flooded from a broken fill valve - the chlorine tablets weaken the plastic fill valve and the fill valve broken apart.

The black growth could be mold from too much heat and/or high humidity (notice you said it only happens in the winter). Do you run a humidifer in the winter ? Do the toilet set in a open bathroom or in a room in the bathroom ?

Back