What size of angle grinder(disk) do you use? (Plumbing)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaffyCA

Reaction score
Hello. I'm in dilemma. Doing some research before I buy my first grinder. She said that size doesn't matter, but I'm concerned Thinking about Bosch or Makita. Any suggestions?

For a hand held I use a 4-1/2", seems discs are more available than a 4". For my work I use a 14" but then again my small pipe is 4"

Chris said:
For a hand held I use a 4-1/2", seems discs are more available than a 4". For my work I use a 14" but then again my small pipe is 4"
thanx for your respond, now what do you prefer? Battery or wire? And why?

Wire because there is no down time waiting on batteries and that the couple I have that are battery eat the batteries way too quick.

Chris said:
Wire because there is no down time waiting on batteries and that the couple I have that are battery eat the batteries way too quick.
thanx a lot for advice, Chris!

And my battery powered Milwaukee is not NEARLY as powerful as my corded Milwaukee, even though my corded Milwaukee is the cheaper, smaller model. Definitely get one with a cord, cheaper and more powerful.

phishfood said:
And my battery powered Milwaukee is not NEARLY as powerful as my corded Milwaukee, even though my corded Milwaukee is the cheaper, smaller model. Definitely get one with a cord, cheaper and more powerful.
thanx Sir. That's what I'm going to buy. Plus, no need extra expanses for new batteries in a long run.

I totally agree, get a corded Milwaukee. But be careful. Milwaukee now makes a cheaper grinder. Spend the extra bucks and get the good one. I have 3 of them one is over 10 years old. Parts if ever needed at easy to get.

I use 5 inch - 125mm for my work and sometimes 4-1/2 inch.

I use a 4.5 but I have also used what we call a pencil grinder that has a 2.5 inch disk also

Makita or Bosch they are both great brands

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, i have read somewhere that Angle grinders can use in different ways that can be used for grinding, cutting, polishing, sharpening and sanding. As a polishing tool, attach the right disc and an angle grinder can buff metal or remove rust. As a cutting tool, angle grinder uses include projects such as cutting through concrete or stone. The angle grinder size is perfect for welders to create flat, smooth seams. You can also strip old paint or smooth a wooden surface or sharpen a variety of items. Try to find an angle grinder that is designed for the jobs you have in mind.

My 1st and 2nd were a Ryobi. Cheap and I likes the trigger switch better than the side thumb switches you find on most grinder. I'm thinking maybe those where only 4"grinders though. the 4" has a small arbor. My current one is a Dewalt 4-1/2" corded. I use 5" blades. That has a side thumb switch though.

That baby has some torque. Put 9 stitches in my switch thumb. :eek:
Was using without the guard and it kicked back on me.

My 1st and 2nd were a Ryobi. Cheap and I likes the trigger switch better than the side thumb switches you find on most grinder. I'm thinking maybe those where only 4"grinders though. the 4" has a small arbor. My current one is a Dewalt 4-1/2" corded. I use 5" blades. That has a side thumb switch though.

That baby has some torque. Put 9 stitches in my switch thumb. :eek:
Was using without the guard and it kicked back on me.
Tssssk, tsssk!!

I would rap your knuckles with a ruler, but it sounds as though you have learned your lesson.

Latest posts

Back