Kitchen faucet flow is low

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larbec

Reaction score
I had a plumber install new fixtures throughout our home two years ago. About 3 months ago I noticed the flow in the kitchen has been getting less and less. It is the type of faucet that has one control that you move to the left for hot and to the right for cold. What could be the cause of this issue. When I use the sprayer it appears to be okay. I do not know what the manufacture is on the faucet as it has no logo. I would need step by step instructions please

Kitchen faucet.jpg

Last edited:
Remove the screen from the faucet and see if there is sediment clogging up the inside. Let us know the outcome!

I did that before I posted anything and the flow does not increase even after I removed the tip on the end all together. Ot acts like there is something restricting the flow inside

Does that small round thing pop out and is there an allen head behind that?

Last edited:
Yes, there should be a small set screw behind the plate. If you have good pressure at your valve under the sink, and also have good pressure at the spray nozzle, it will be something within your faucet itself. When I did a copper pipe replacement, I found a chunk of metal jambing the water flow deep within the faucet. It may be time to begin disecting it apart until you find the blockage.

I will try to pop the top of the plate off and start looking. My entire house has good pressure

There is a diverter mechanism in the valve part of the faucet.
When you turn on the water, the hose to the hand spay unit is always pressurized.
When you push the button to activate the hand held unit there is a mechanism in the valve body that shifts and stops the water flow to the solid spout.
This mechanism may be stuck in the diverted position.
Not sure what brand you have there. some diverters are a collar type that shift up/down on the valve, others types are set into a hole.
Your valve is separate from the hard spout and the hose so it could be underneath.

will this mechanism prevent pressure from coming out of my faucet? I have pressure through my hand sprayer

so, should I disconnect the hand sprayer and blow it out? What should I do?

I pulled the tube all the way and pressed the hand sprayer on and off about 10 times and it seems to have a little better pressure but not 100%

Last edited:
Shut off your water, disconnect the supply lines, and start taking it apart from under the sink.

Yes, the only way to really clean up the problem is to completely remove the center valve, place it on the counter, and disect it. You may find that the valve is clogged, have broken parts or as Mr David said, your diverter may be stuck.

I have to call a plumber. Due to surgery on my neck I can not bend the way I have to ... to get the faucet off.

Thanks for your help!

I wish I was closer. I'd love to come over and give you a hand. With my bad knees and your bad neck, we'd make a great pair of gimps! Good luck and let us know how it turned out!

Back