Boiler’s T&P valve keeps popping

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H2oheartny3

Reaction score
I have hot water heat(standing radiators) in my house and I bled/filled my water lines about 1/2 way through the winter and ever since my t&p valve occasionally pops and is slowly filling a 5 gallon bucket. I have to empty it about once a week. I’ve tried draining some of the water from the boiler. The pressure valve starts at 20psi, but ends up going up to about 50 during heating and pops. Any help plz!!

it sounds like your pressure reducing valve is letting the boiler fill. Wants it gets to 30lbs the relief valve will pop off. Do you know what part I am talking about??

Check to see if your expansion tank is full of water could have popped may need to be replaced along with a new relief valve

He has a system with standing radiators. There is a good chance he doesn't have an expansion tank with a bladder. It may be a steel tank hanging between the floor joists.

I've seen both should post a picture this is what we're looking at

He has a system with standing radiators. There is a good chance he doesn't have an expansion tank with a bladder. It may be a steel tank hanging between the floor joists.

That’s right I’ve got a steel compression tank, not one with a bladder

Sounds like I’m going to drain the expansion tank, purge my system, and change out my pressure reducing valve. Right now I’ve got the FB-38... do you guys have any feedback on what brand/style of valve I should get??

the last poster is right just drain the expansion tank and see what happens
my brother in law calls me every year and says the same thing.....just dain
it couple of times during the heating season........

Latest posts

Back