Leaky shower head

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelcorell

Reaction score
I need help!! My shower head leaks, not much, but its still a leak. It is leaking where the shower head connects to the shower arm. I have rewraped the threads with PTFE tape numerous times (yes, clockwise) and I cant get it to stop leaking. I even took the shower arm out and rewraped it. I bought an upgraded PTFE tape at Lowes still leaking. Could it possibly be that the shower arm or the shower head needs to be replaced due to damage on the threads?
I hate to hire a plumber if it is something simple. Ive tried and tried and cannot get it to stop leaking. Ive wrapped pipes before and never had this much problem...any suggestions would be appreciated.

One or the other could be damaged. Get a new metal shower arm, put Teflon tape and pipe dope on and try that and if its still leaking there then its time for a new shower head. If you call a plumber this is what he is going to do. Hope this helps you. Let us know what happens.

thank you Tom and John
I will buy a new shower arm tomorrow. I didn't know about the shower head needing a gasket but the guy at Lowes told me so I bought some gaskets. Having said that I'm wondering if the gasket fell out this morning when I took the shower head off the arm to re-install. didn't see it anywhere but it is hard to see on the tile floor in the shower. I'll start with the shower arm tomorrow. this shower was a remodel 2 years ago so the shower head and arm aren't all that old. But thanks for your suggestions.

thank you Tom and John
I will buy a new shower arm tomorrow. I didn't know about the shower head needing a gasket but the guy at Lowes told me so I bought some gaskets. Having said that I'm wondering if the gasket fell out this morning when I took the shower head off the arm to re-install. didn't see it anywhere but it is hard to see on the tile floor in the shower. I'll start with the shower arm tomorrow. this shower was a remodel 2 years ago so the shower head and arm aren't all that old. But thanks for your suggestions.
Make sure that the female threads on the shower head are not cracked. I have seen that happen on some of the plastic shower heads.

Thanks I will check that. It is still leaking, not much at all just a drop but its still a leak.

Back