What is this pvc part?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morey

Reaction score
Heat bulb burned out last night so water in the well house froze and cracked the pvc. In the picture, I'm having trouble identifying the Pvc connectior between the spigot and the Tee coupler. Looks like a bushing on the bottom part. Anybody know what it is?

20180117_113527_resized.jpg

Don't thread metal into plastic

Why not? What is the alternative? I had 2 different inspectors look at the well house and neither mentioned the metal threaded into pvc attachments.

Thanks.

Because the metal will split the pvc always thread plastic into metal

I agree; annoying though that they make fip x pvc fittings so that we can transition from steel pipe to plastic? Tough call really. I’ve done this often with no problem and have likewise split both brass and steel fittings! Guess I don’t know my own strength [emoji123]

Because the metal will split the pvc always thread plastic into metal

I agree; annoying though that they make fip x pvc fittings so that we can transition from steel pipe to plastic? Tough call really. I’ve done this often with no problem and have likewise split both brass and steel fittings! Guess I don’t know my own strength :)

Pvc threads are not the same as copper threads that is why you have to be careful

Pvc threads are not the same as copper threads that is why you have to be careful

Are you thinking durability, or is there an actual difference in pitch of thread, thread count or taper on the pipe? We do a lot of agricultural stuff up here where you have to accommodate a plethora for materials, ancient steel among them.

One big dif is that plastic fittings are cast in a mold and metal ones are cut with a die.

typically Plastic male fittings are screwed into metal female fittings.
Pipe threads are tapered, and male fitting are like a wedge.
The tighter you make the joint, the more outward pressure you exert on the female fitting.
A plastic female fitting on a metal male is likely to fail 1st?

The plastic male fitting will compress in the metal female
Plastic male fitting also can and do fail.

Their weakness is the valley of each thread.
They always crack at the thread outside the joint.
We try to always use Schedule 80 fittings.

If you have to use a plastic female you can increase longevity by putting a hose clamp around the fitting

Latest posts

Back