?? About pvc repair couplings

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randyc

Reaction score
I have a water leak under my asphalt parking pad. I was successful in cutting the asphalt and finding the leak. The pipe is about 8" deep under the asphalt and this is 3/4 pic supplying water to the house.

Obviously I can cut out a section and try to repair the leak but the problem is that I can't bend the end of the pipe enough to get a slip coupling into place. ( I don't want to dig up another 5 ft of asphalt)

I have read about stop less slip couplings and it sounds like a good idea but it seems it would be difficult to get the coupling positioned before the glue dries. I have also read about the compression coupling and sliding couplings but my fear is that the rubber o-rings wil deteriorate over time and I will have this same problem again. Are these things long lasting when buried?

Anybody have any suggestions for me. Is the stop less coupling easier than it sounds?

Thanks

This is the main supply line coming into the house, if I were to use this method would it slow down the flow into the house because it isn't a straight line?

Thanks

You could also use 45 degree fittings in the same manner for less restriction. They also have repair couplings that will snap together over the break.

Randy, they make a 3/4 pvc slip compression coupling. They slide over the pipe and then you tighten the compression nuts. They work well. Where are you located that you are under the ground only 8 inches?

You can't put any type of compression fitting where you can't have access to it. This is a simple fix cut out the section that is broken and replace with new, by using the methods that other posters have told you or like you said you slip couplings could I have the piece of pipe that's broken and replace with the exact same length of pipe and used to slip couplings to slide over the pipe into position and then glue them back on

Thanks to everyone for their help. I ended up using the 4 elbow method. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the slip couplings for future reference. I looked at the big box stores and also looked online and could not find any.

It seems to me that the slip coupling would have been a better way to go if I could have found them.

Tom- I may have been wrong when I said 8", it may have been 12". This property is in Warner Robins, GA. I had these units built 30 years ago and have never had a problem until last week.

Are these things called slip couplings or stop less couplings?

Slip couplings and stopless couplings the same thing just a different name

Are these things called slip couplings or stop less couplings?
Randy, they are called slip nut couplings. They have slip nuts on each side that you tighten with channel locks. Glad you got it fixed with all the ellbows

Does anyone know where you can purchase the stop less couplings. I searched my local big box stores, hardware stores and even searched online. Nobody seems to have them.

Thanks

Randy, you can find it at Home Depot. In the search put in 511-43-34-34H They also have the at usplastics.com Item #58574 Little more expensive there. Hope this helps

Thank you Tom!

I want to get some of these to have on hand when I have another leak similar to this.

Latest posts

Back