Shower Base flush to wall?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogucki

Reaction score
I'm looking for a shower base that doesn't have the 3" lip that runs the perimeter of the base. I have a rental property that has a large shower and the base is completely smooth, "not level" it still slopes towards the drain but it doesn't hump up 3" inches at the wall. I can't seem to find any bases online like this. Any recommendations? I want the tile to come down all the way to the base rather than stop 3" from the floor and then have that hideous base lip protruding out and down. I went to a local cultured marble store but they were useless...

The lip on the shower base is made to set against the wall framing.Then the green board (or dura-rock) comes down to the lip. The tile then goes over lip and onto the green board. Without the lip there would be a joint at the shower base that could allow the water to get into the wall area.

john

Ah. I wasn't clear enough in my explanation. I understand the lip and the dura-rock coming down over it. Im talking about below this. Think about the corner at the bottom. I want the tile to go all the way to the floor and caulk it to the base. In order to do this the base has to be flat in the corners. All the bases I can find have the protrusion below the lip that is rounded. So if I were to use one of these, my tile could come together in the corner but it wouldn't be at the floor. The tile could only join where the base is at a 90 degree angle which happens to be up at the lip and not at the floor of the base. If you "google" "tile-redi pan" you can see a pan that is shaped how I want. However, I want a solid base "cultured marble" not one that I have to tile. I'll just form a traditional base if i'm going to tile the floor.

Does anyone know where I can buy one of the non-humped pre-made shower bases that is drawn above? I know they exists because the house I have one in now is a spec home.

I've scoured the web for a week trying to find a flat cultured marble base but have not yet located one. Before I pay for a custom pan, I'll just do it the old fashioned way like your link above. I'm surprised so many people are satisfied with the humped up bases.?. Not only is it ugly but it reduces the floor space of the shower. A 3" hump that encircles the perimeter of the shower reduces the floor space quite a bit.

the link shows a custom made showerbase using A membrane in place of a pan with cameNT And grouting, you could make the shower anyway you like.. the hum you see is the example of a thresh hold ( in this case covered 2 x 4 ) to stop water from escaping the shower stall .

The "humps" in these shower pans are for function primarily. Most leaks occur in a shower in the corners and the humps allow water to flow back into the center, where the drain is. No water settling will also prevent mold/mildew.

Right. But why the humps? I think they were originally designed to strengthen the bases, perhaps the original material used to make these bases was weak and needed the humps for structural integrity and nobody has changed the design since. There is no reason why a no-hump design would be any more prone to leaking.

no and it is done often but is done with a membrane and tile, the drain sits flush, but a threshhold "hump" is needed to make a rim for the water in the case of future slow draining or blockage problems not to instantlly cause you flooding and water damage. with a thresh hold the backing up water would be noticed and you could act.

Well thanks for the help. Looks like doing a traditional liner is going to be better for my application.

I found my old thread here and thought I would post pictures of what I ended up doing.

image.jpg

Last edited:
It turned out nice. And yes, although I don't have any pictures of it, the shower does have a vinyl shower liner, sloped properly, with open weep holes around drain, reinforced corners and threshold with redguard, and plastic vapor barrier behind the hardiboard, from the bottom to the top. It's waterproof.

photo (9).jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back