Industrial vs Residential

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPavao

Reaction score
Hello I am going for my Industrial (commercial) plumbing apprenticeship next year but for the past year I've been training in residential plumbing.
What I was wondering was can somebody tell me an idea of the kind of work I'll be doing in industrial plumbing I've already asked and googled it but I want to know first hand from a plumber, I've read up on it also but like I said I want to know first hand. Thanks.

What u need to know. Only done commercial. Whole different ball game. As long as your not completely green youll be fine. We groove more than thread, and sweat up to 6" at times. Pipe is pipe

If by industrial you mean True industrial then,

Safety.... always think PPE. glasses, AND a face mask when grinding or chop saw, cannot use the side of the chopsaw to de bur redi rod .. etc.

Big systems and Big pipe.. victaulic is used lots and roll groove or cut groove depending on the sched of the pipe. HEAVY PIPE>..... and lots of use of man lifts.

people can be pretty dumb/annoying but hopefully you get a good crew that teaches you proper ways of doing things.

Dwv is often Cast iron. - sound your joints.

firsthandedly I can tell you pay is good. what else do you want to know? ( though i dont do industrial at the molment )

and I'll tell you what i tell all Apprentices, Ask question that you KNOW the answers too... this way you can determine who are good people to ask questions of and will give you honest answers and Who Doesnt Know Shiz and is too retarded to admit it ( sadly I;ve met many of the latter in myy industrial days )

Sorry for the very late reply.. But by industrial I meant "commercial".

But anyways. Thanks for all the info, I currently work at a big box plumbing store getting ready for my apprenticeship, I've had contractors ask to take me on but I want to be in commercial.

The way things are going in the construction business I wouldn't be to choosy. Take what you can get the experience you get will be well worth it.

John

AMEN John - well said

Yeah I completely agree .Theres also a trust aspect though, I know a couple very well, and I'd be more then happy to work with them, but right now balancing schooling (trade school) and a semi full time job, is hard. Id have to drop the job at the plumbing store, which is something I'm on the fence about.

Brings back some memories. My first job was with a small plumbing company. That eventually became a plumbing supply house. They treated me good and paid fairly well. But I didn't see much of a future with them. I was offered a job with a plumbing contractor. The hourly wage was the same but I would be putting in less hours. Resulting in a smaller pay check. I had just gotten married. It was like taking a step backwards.
I took the job and was lucky enough to work with a excellent plumber. The training I got from that man was worth it's weight in gold. It's tough to change jobs but in my case it worked out great. That was over 50 years ago. The plumbing business has treated me and my family very well.
Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

John

Thanks for all the support guys! I am excited for the apprenticeship, hopefully one day I'll make the master plumber title.

Latest posts

Back