sweating large diameter copper

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soma

Reaction score
We've got a 1 3/8" copper pipe on a water pump. I want to put a union on it so we can remove the pump to clean out the volute and so we can line it up more easily when replacing it. We've got a B tank (acetylene) and I'm wondering if that will be sufficient to do the soldering or if I'll need a large tip for it.

Thanks.

you will be fine with a b tank, I have solderd 3" lines as well, no issues. Wipe joints with a scrap of insulation for a smooth and clean finish ( fiberglass insulation doesnt stick and doesnt leave residue )

I silver solder 2" copper all the time with oxygen acetylene.

Soldered 5 inch with b-tank and no.6 tip. Didn't even know 5" existed until that day

1 3/8 your fine with b tank and small tip. #3 tip is.fine

I sweat 4" regularly always b tank. Braising I use a torch

I ordered the 5x3 reducer. So i know it does. Had to sweat a 90 with water in line. Put rags on rod and stuffed in while i soldered, being i dont have jet sweat that big, and dont even think they make press that size

odd. i had never seen a 5" but checking online i see that nibco makes 5" fittings. asx far as jet set ( I am thinking something like pro press?? ) they make had sizes up to 6" that i have seen.

why did you not just shop vac the line ? was it running ( letting by ) first day plumbing my boss hires me on the phone and says "be there tomorror 7am sharp have a tape measure, a torpedo level and 4 loaves of white bread, they gotta be white bread. dont bother coming if you dont bring em" thought I was the punchline for a funny wager or something but I have used white bread plugs in many many dribbling waterline solder's since.

Water was constant, a valve somewhere didnt hold. I have heard of bread before but never did myself

Back