Has anyone used a LAKOS Twist II Clean Filter?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joelk

Reaction score
In trying to deal with my sediment problems I have come across Ads and YouTube Videos about this filter.

It seems like a quality filter and I like the fact that I should be able to just backflush it instead of changing filters all the time.

It has a mesh filter and the finest mesh they offer is rated at 105 microns. I wonder if this will be fine enough to remove a good portion of the very fine silt(no sand, probably clay) that rapidly clogs the element in my 10 x 4.5 "Whole House Filter".

I am trying to get things to the point where I would not have to replace the WHF Cartridge more that ever 2 months, hopefully longer.

Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback from anyone using the LAKOS Twist II Clean Filter.

Thanks, Joel

Hi Joelk - I have tried the LAKOS Twist II Clean Filter and it works as stated. 2 not have to replace the cartridge after every 2 months, I am not sure.

Its a great product though.

105 microns is pretty fine mesh, and this appears to be a pretty good product, based upon testimonials I have read from installers and homeowners who previously chose other options. I think it won some award for being one of the best new products of 2011 at the World Ag Expo in California a few months ago. They made a separate website to answer basic questions at twistiiclean.com.

These things aren't new, Vu-Flow has been selling these since I was a kid. They plug up just like the rest of them. Backwashing sounds like a good idea, but the clay will more than likely stick to the screen and stay there.
http://vuflow.rusco.com/

I went to the Vu-Flow website and looked at the Vu-Flow screen type filters. I did not see any that backflush the way the Lakos Twist II Clean does. If there is a Vu-Flow(or any other brand) product that does an actual backflush the way a Lakos T2C does, can you please provide the model #?

From watching the videos of how they work, it seems to me that the Lakos T2C backflush process would clean the screen much more effectively than a "surface flush" type filter that basically just runs water over the surface of the mesh.

The Lakos T2C will mount very conveniently without having to reposition any of my other plumbing lines. I can just replace an existing 12" nipple with the Lakos T2C, some bell reducers(I plan to buy the 1.5" model as it has a lot more surface area) and some short nipples.

I will have the screen filter mounted in a location where I can very easily flush it as often as needed, once a week or once every two weeks would not be a significant imposition.

I ordered a Lakos T2C last week, but it is currently on back order and I could cancel the order if I come across a filter that I like better, before it is back in stock.

Claude Laval invented the centrifugal sand filter back in the 70's or thereabouts. They worked very nicely on sand that was heavy enough to be easily settled out. The fine sand went right on through. I think he sold out many years ago, and the new owners are branching out. The big box stores make it real easy for companies that make these undersized filters to move lots of product.

If you really think that unit will help your water problem, get one. Let us know how it worked out for you.

I believe Claude Laval still owns the LAKOS company and all their products. And I believe the TwistIIClean filter works/cleans quite differently than the other filters that came before it from other companies (Vu-Flow and others). I think you need to depressurize the system to clean the filter on most of the others, among other differences.

Your probably right, but I still have no use for a one faucet filter being used for a whole house.

My LAKOS, Model T2C-150-140 filter arrrived today and I installed it. It has 1.5" inlets and outlets and a 140 mesh(105 micron) screen.

It seems to be very well made and works exactly as advertized. Backflushing is super easy and although I did not run the water long enough to build up a lot of sediment on the screen, it seemed very effective at cleaning the screen when I did backflush it.

I have not run it long enough to know how long I can go between backflush/cleanings of the T2C, but it definately is catching a lot of the sediment before it is getting to my WHF so I know my WHF filter cartridgees will last MUCH longer than W/O the T2C screen filter.

I'll post again after I have been using it for a while to advise how frequently I have to backflush the T2C and how frequently I have to change the cartridge filter in my WHF.

I bought two of these filter setups - the 1.5" with 100 mesh screens the end of April'12,, Screen collapsed inside the filter letting sand into my water system.. LAKOS would not honor the warranty but I can wait 2 to 3 months to get new one in if I pay for it. Buyer Beware...

@netcynergy - what do you mean the screen collapsed? The plastic buckled or what? How long did they run?

@speedbump - Lakos is still owned by Claude Laval

@speedbump - Lakos is still owned by Claude Laval
I looked him up, your right, he and his Daughter still run the company today.

I used his Laval Seperators in the 70's. They worked great on heavier sand but not so well on fine sand. It would just stay in suspension and pass on through.

This whole thread is starting to sound like a Commercial for the T2C.

Mine has been working well since I installed it.
It certainly does not catch all of the silt, but enough that it significantly extends the life of my whole house filters.

Even with a good bit of silt, it does not seem to restrict flow a lot, even when it has a significant accumulation in it. I have it in a location where it is very visible and I flush it whenever it starts to accumulate a fair amount of silt. I have never let it accumulate to where it caused a significant restriction. When I flush it, it does not totally clean the screen, but it seems to get the majority of the silt off of it.

So far, I am glad that I purchased/installed it.

It certainly does not catch all of the silt, but enough that it significantly extends the life of my whole house filters.
Honestly, it sounds to me like you have an inline series of too small filters that some of which have to be changed way to often when one good much larger filter would have done a much better job with far less maintenance and probably for about the same price.

I have used 4 of the t2c-150's in my poultry houses for over a year now. They are by far much easier to manage that your typical Rusco spin down sand filter (which is what I had). These rarely clog and cause a water alarm. I flush them at least 1 week some times more. No real complaints but I have had to replace the o rings in one of them because it started leaking constantly after a flush one day. Keep in mind these units have had over 700,000 gal run through each one and this is the only problem i've had.

Latest posts

Back