Just bought some property with a pumphouse

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well said, you should see my shop, radio shack, work room, computer room among other things. I can't wait until she who must be obeyed has her next yard sale. :rolleyes:

Awesome! Maybe you can post pictures on the garageretreat or houserepairtalk forum. I'd love to see!

My place is such a mess that she who controls the finances would flip out if she knew I had posted some pics already. I still have boxes that were packed when I moved in 1992 and they haven't been opened and emptied yet. I need to just collect up a bunch of stuff and donate it to a local charity or something.

Back on topic, which organization/agency would have records for the permits for water pumps? I know that I had to go through department of health and hospitals to get the permit for my septic tank, but I think sewage might be separate from water supply? Or would they also be the right organization? Or would it just depend on the state?

I would be embarrassed to post pics of this place anywhere. It's a mess.

As far as the records go: In Michigan it's the State and local health department. In Florida they can't seem to figure out who wants to regulate us. First it was the Health Dept, then the Building Dept. At present we are under the Plumbing Inspector. But the rules (last time I knew) were written on one page and were written by a manufacturers rep. Does that make any sense?

I will keep the pump if the pipes and lower stuff is working. That was my intention. If the pipes, valves, footvalve ect were clogged up it would make sense to go to the poly pipe that bends and put in a submersible pump like the one recommended earlier. I do not have all the equipment to pull all this galvinized pipe out of the casing is why I would want to try the same kind of 1hp jet pump first. Ill just tell home depot my intentions & see what they say. Perhaps they only have my satisfaction in mind.

I will keep the pump if the pipes and lower stuff is working. That was my intention. If the pipes, valves, footvalve ect were clogged up it would make sense to go to the poly pipe that bends and put in a submersible pump like the one recommended earlier. I do not have all the equipment to pull all this galvinized pipe out of the casing is why I would want to try the same kind of 1hp jet pump first. Ill just tell home depot my intentions & see what they say. Perhaps they only have my satisfaction in mind.

Is the original pump still there? I can't remember.

speedbump, given what my place looks like, I'm sure yours wouldn't be as bad. :)

I will keep the pump if the pipes and lower stuff is working.
Do you have a picture of the old pump not disassembled or the whole pumps parts so we can see what it is? By the looks of what I've seen in pics already, it looks like a multistage pump and home depot will be more likely to have single stage pumps which won't be able to drive the jet in the well. The jet is the thing both pipes are screwed into.

the motor is a dayton 1hp 115 or 230 volt motor and the pump part is too rusty to be used again. Very corroded and part of it vandalized. The pump drove two pipes one pushing and one pulling

Would something like this work? I can't tell if it has 2 stages...

That's a new one: Double Nose Jet Pump. You learn something every day. NO it's a single stage. Two or three stage pumps look like this:

Multistage_Centrifugal_MSH.gif

Multi_Stage_Verticle_Jet_Pump.gif

That's a new one: Double Nose Jet Pump. You learn something every day. NO it's a single stage. Two or three stage pumps look like this:

Thanks. the double-nose thing came up when I was looking for two-stage pumps. Glad you know what to look for on it because I have no idea. LOL.

I hope flboy can find what he needs without it costing too much.

Goulds has been through several buyouts, mergers, takeovers or whatever these corporate types call it these days. But I have never heard the term "Double Nose" in the 40 plus years I've been doing this. Sounds like a bean counter was asked to help design a web page.:D

I have talked to all the plumbers here in town & only one wnts to work on a above ground jet pump. They call say its not worth my time to try & replace pump & motor. So, I guess if you all agree I am going to pull the ole galvanized pipes with some block and tackle and my truck and go with a submersible and poly pipe?

What do you guys think I should do?

You will probably find that most plumbers would rather work on other things and leave the pumps to the pump guys.

Your on the right track with the submersible pump. Trying to resurrect a jet pump system these days just doesn't make good economic sense.

At least you have a four inch well. That is far better than a 2" or 3" that nobody will work on. At least you know that if you can't even get a 4" sub in there you can still put in a 3" sub.

Thanks, ill get started on building a tripod, or, three 4x4s two standing in the ground and one accross. Not sure which to erect yet.

Is the longest run of galvanized pipe 20 feet? I want to build my tripod close to the longest run of pipe so I make it to the first coupler joint.

I have talked to all the plumbers here in town & only one wnts to work on a above ground jet pump. They call say its not worth my time to try & replace pump & motor. So, I guess if you all agree I am going to pull the ole galvanized pipes with some block and tackle and my truck and go with a submersible and poly pipe?

What do you guys think I should do?

I found that in my area, plumbers won't touch pumps. You have to find someone who specializes in digging/installing new wells and pumps. Sometimes they will refer to themselves as a drilling service. You might have better luck looking for that instead of a plumber.

I think it's that way in most areas.

The galvanized pipe comes in 21' lengths.

Good news to report. I did not have to build a tripod. When I tore off the tin from the roof I noticed a real good strong limb. I put my chain pulley on it and got the first section of pipe up to the first coupling break. I now have to go buy some blades for my saw zaw . I drilled a hole and put a long bolt thru the pipe so it can not fall through the casing if the limb breaks. I know some metal shavings from the drilling went down the well I hope that is not too bad. Im not going to drink this water by the way.

So, i would like a submersible pump that is strong and has the ability to work off 110 or 220. What do you guys have in mind or what should I consider if there is something I am missing.

Latest posts

Back