Less water pressure after tank replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhobgood

Reaction score
We just recently had our shallow well jet pump. The old pump was a 1/2 HP with a 30-50 switch on it. It was about 15 years old an finally died. I replaced it with a 1/2 HP Utilitech shallow well jet pump from Lowes that came with a 20-40 switch. Probably not a wise decision based on the reviews on the Lowes website, but I was in a bind and needed water. Since replacing the pump 2 days ago, we just don't have the water pressure in the house that we did before. I have 30 days to return the pump. I am wondering should I go back with a 1 HP pump? The one I bought will do 9 gpm. The 1 HP will do 21 gpm.....or should I try replacing the switch with a 30-50 switch.

Big box stores tend to over rate their pump motors. A half horse motor made by a good company and sold by Well Drillers and Pump Guys would actually be more than a 1/2 hp. The Utilitech on the other hand isn't Longevity is another problem with big box pumps.

A 1 hp jet pump will pump about twice the water that a 1/2 will do. But it can't make much more pressure. They will both top out at about 60 psi. Where the 1 hp shines is that it can produce the same amount of water the 1/2 hp was doing in the shower, but at a much higher pressure.

People often mistake pressure for gallons per minute and vice versa.

Thanks speedbump. The shower is where I am noticing the lack of pressure the most. So would you recommend I go with a 1 HP from a plumbing supply store. Are there any downsides of going with a 1 HP other than the extra cost?

The only downside to a one horse that I can think of would be the electrical wiring feeding the pump. It may have been sized for the old 1/2 hp, so if you put a 1 hp on, it could cause problems.

If you were satisfied with the old 1/2 hp's pressure, why not go back with another. My SW-50 does a great job: Jet Pumps

Latest posts

Back