thread sealant

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tws

Reaction score
greetings,

i'm getting ready to plumb my new goulds pump.

i have yellow or white teflon tape to put on the steel pipe threads or rectorseal slow dry 5 soft set. is one preferable to the other? is one used for a specific joint for example the steel pipe that goes into the pump cast iron itself? this is happening on the suction side.

thanks for any plumber advice.

tws

i-qh23ddB.jpg

i-tL2LXzT.jpg

yellow is used for gas. I use white Teflon for every thing. There are some who will probably correct me. I'm not a big fan of rector seal on steel pipe, but I'll use it on small stuff or with tape. I prefer Key Tite for metal joints ( especially for gas ), and Slic Tite ( Teflon paste ) for plastic.

i don't follow? i'm not a plumber that's why i'm posting here for advice

Matts trying to tell you that galvanized pipe went out with the hula hoop. By the looks of all the threads you still have left, there will likely be air leaks on the suction side. That's another good reason to use PVC. And the fewer joints you have in a suction line, the less problems you will have.

I will compliment you on how nice your installation looks, but you used the wrong kind of pipe.

ok... i guess i'll go with pvc... now the question is do i use teflon tape (and what type) or some kind of paste compound where the pvc threads join the cast iron pump body?

thanks again

I like teflon tape because it's not messy. But any good teflon pipe dope will work. Everybody has their favorite pipe dope. Rector Seal used to be mine until a can of it dumped over in my fitting box. Glued a bunch of PVC fittings together and just made a general mess. I didn't discover it until it had started to firm up.

thanks, speedbump.

does anyone know a pvc or copper fitting to replace this one? i'm trying to find one that has an extra port to aid in priming the pump. a description, picture or link to the part would be welcomed. thanks.

utilitech-1.jpg

That is the perfect priming plug. It's galvanized so it can't break or split when screwing those metal fittings into it. I know I recommend PVC, but only on the suction. Once you leave that street tee, you can go back to PVC. I always use a galvanized tee on a jet pump just for priming now and later.

GREAT! she'll go back on... i'll just prime the pump before tightening that fitting down.

thanks again

great! i'll use it. btw, speedbump is there any risk of the pump heating and melting the pvc on the suction side? because i intend to use pvc all the way into the pumps suction port.

Take the gauge and it's bushing out to prime, then put it back in only a couple of turns so the air can bleed out. Once it catches a prime, the air will stop and water will start shooting out. Then you can tighten the bushing.

Personally I would replace that galvanized tee with brass. Years down the road when that pump is in need of service, you're gonna be picking flakes out of there.

Personally I would replace that galvanized tee with brass. Years down the road when that pump is in need of service, you're gonna be picking flakes out of there.

It's too bad, but years down the road (and not too many years) that pump will need to be replaced. The tee will likely outlast the motor.

Instead of unscrewing the gauge for priming would it be beneficial to add a small ball valve to bleed?

Instead of unscrewing the gauge for priming would it be beneficial to add a small ball valve to bleed?
It would be, but you still have to open the tee up somehow from the top to pour the priming water in. I guess if you elbowed up with a valve, that would work.

Hey, have you tired that CPV yet?

Not yet. Been busy. It's sitting on my work bench but unfortunately it's right behind my mini fridge full of beer.

Hopefully next week I can get to it, I really need to after adding 60 trees and a couple hundred plants.

Not yet. Been busy. It's sitting on my work bench but unfortunately it's right behind my mini fridge full of beer.

Hopefully next week I can get to it, I really need to after adding 60 trees and a couple hundred plants.
Well you have it in a very good place and since it's SS, it can't rust.

You might want to unscrew the big nut and remove the SS screen that is around the valve. In my experience, that is the first thing to get plugged going into scaley pipes.

quick update... pvc on suction side and brass fittings for pressure side... waiting till monday to get final fitting to accomdate pressure gauge.

pumprep-2.jpg

pumprep-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back