Appliance

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spigoti

Reaction score
Hi,

My old appliances, washer and dishwasher, have been sitting unused for two years. Do I need to have them serviced for any rubber parts that might have dry rotted, or any other problems from being out of service for so long? Had a toilet sit for a while and there was dry rot.

These units are hooked up. Water to the washer is OFF.

Thanks.

Last edited:
would say there is no way to determine what needs to be fixed until you turn them on and find out. Unless they were already in poor working condition two years ago, they should be fine. By the way, how exactly does a metal and porcelain toilet dry rot?

Well, besides the below picture...

049.jpg

I don't know the name of the parts in the toilet, but the flanges? etc in the tank are made of rubber.

--------

These washer/dishwasher units were fine before. I don't want to have any compromised rubber gaskets flanges seals whatever blow when water damage is involved.

Last edited:
It is possible the wax ring may have been compromised as well as the flapper, but those are quick repairs. No way of knowing until you try to use it.

The toilet parts were upgraded and installed already.

--------

I am concerned what similar conditions might be involved with putting the washer and dishwasher back in service, to avoid any flooding problems. These are on the living level. Obviously I will have the water hoses replaced but what is not obvious?

I have heard of (but never seen) the solenoid valve on a dishwasher stick in the open position and cause a flood. A washing machine uses the same type of solenoid valve, so I would imagine the same is possible there.

I would think that if you put them through a cycle several times, and they operated correctly, that you should be alright.

Latest posts

Back