Flared Seat vs. Ball Seat

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocco

Reaction score
I am using flared seat fittings on the ends of some high pressure LP gas hose to connect the regulated output of a standard 20# cylinder to some flame-effects that I built and have taken to Burning Man (http://burningman.org) in the past. I recently came across a blog post from another flame effects enthusiast that is using ball seat fittings... I'm wondering if one type is better than the other for LP gas use?

(I found this site, that has pretty pictures of each type of fitting: http://www.adaptall.com/tutorial/sealing.html)

Thanks in advance!

i think a ball seat fitting is a pneumatic or hydraulic fitting, and flared seat is gas . not sure..look on the side of the valve
if it is stamped WOG [water oil gas] your ok, if not rated/stamped wog no

the upc code states..1213.8
every valve and appurtenance used on such piping shall be designed and approved for use with liquified petroleum gas

:D this answer was of no help, sorry

to answer your question, I have never used the type you are asking about...that i know of

same here. Not familiar with the ball type.

But this is my observation. the ball seat appears to seal on the inside of the threaded fitting. The tighter you make it the more it would seam to crush the end of the tube. What type of tool do you use to make the ball end? looks like a machined end

The flare tools are easy to use and the tighter you make the joint the tighter the seal against the tapered end of the male fitting.

EDIT: Snipped this when I posted but forgot to attach it.

ball vs flare.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Frodo and Mr_David. I believe you have to buy the male and female ball type fittings, unlike flare, where you can flare copper tube yourself for one side. I've been happily using flare fittings, so I'll stick with them, but I think I'll send the blog poster an email and see if he can shed any light!

I'll report back if I come up with any additional info!

Ball seat are more common than you may realize. Most of us have used them or seen them and didn't even notice. It's the same type of connection on your propane grill from the regulator to the tank. As long as they are approved for LP and designed for durability and safety, I would say the chamfer to ball seat would be more reliable but also more expensive.

Latest posts

Back