Wye vs Sweep?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaken-n-stirred

Reaction score
If I have a vertical drain entering a horizontal drain, can I use either a Wye and bend or a Sweep fitting? The horizontal legs extends in both directions. Sweeps seem like a better choice, but what does code say about it? If a Wye is required, does anyone know why? Or is it a case of ... well ... just cus?

thanks

I always use wyes. More directional flow and I find easier to pipe with. Besides, unless it's a long sweep you cannot use a tee-wye for that application.

combo. is short/ slang for "combination wye and 1/8th bend"

an 1/8 bend is actually a cast iron fitting
a 45 is plastic

just like a 90 is a 1/4 bend or short sweep

sweep is a long sweep

22 is a 1/16th bend

cast fittings are called out in fractions, pvc in degrees
the names are really interchangeable until you step up to the counter at the supply house

then terms like service weight, quite pipe, hub, no hub, sch 40 etc are important

fitt'ins that have a male end, are called goesintas and fitt'ins that go over the pipe are called goesontas :D

I knew most of what you posted, but thank you for confirming that a combo is the same as a wye and an 1/8.

And to me, a combo looks like a Sweep". Therefor I was trying to ask the other poster (MATT?) if when he says he likes to use Wye when going from vertical to horizontal, that he meant a Wye and a 45 or if he liked combos for that purpose.

?

is a "Tee-Wye" the same as a combo???

If you google Tee-Wye you get what looks like a "sweep" forming a 90 degree turn into another pipe (a Tee).

?

The only time I use a tee is on stack vents, using a y on a stack breaks the vent. long turn 90's or wye 45 combo on vertical to horizontal, regular 90 from horizontal to vertical.

combo. is short/ slang for "combination wye and 1/8th bend"

an 1/8 bend is actually a cast iron fitting
a 45 is plastic

just like a 90 is a 1/4 bend or short sweep

sweep is a long sweep

22 is a 1/16th bend

cast fittings are called out in fractions, pvc in degrees
the names are really interchangeable until you step up to the counter at the supply house

then terms like service weight, quite pipe, hub, no hub, sch 40 etc are important

fitt'ins that have a male end, are called goesintas and fitt'ins that go over the pipe are called goesontas :D

:cool: ...hmm...

Better write this down with my other gained info here...

1) HOT is on the left...

2) COLD is on the right...

3) SHIAT flows downhill...

4) PAYDAY is on Fridays

5) Try not to bite your nails...

Now this...;)

I am almost ready to take the test for my license...

:cool: ...hmm...

Better write this down with my other gained info here...

1) HOT is on the left...

2) COLD is on the right...

3) SHIAT flows downhill...

4) PAYDAY is on Fridays

5) Try not to bite your nails...

Now this...;)

I am almost ready to take the test for my license...

1801510022.gif

a.gif

Use a combo on its back, wyes are used to maintain flow direction on drainage. A tee on its back is prohibited. The waste water would come straight down and 'splash' on the flow line before finding its direction of flow and allow opportunity for clogs and build up and lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
Using tees for drainage is approved when they are installed vertically with the direction of flow going from horizontal to vertical or what is referred to as "sanitary position".

Latest posts

Back