Sink drains barely above main drain: do I worry about it?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanThoms

Reaction score
Nearing the end of a kitchen remodel, I finally put our new sink onto the sink base cabinet and, of course, discovered that the drain is barely higher than the main drain. I haven't measured but we've got maybe three inches of head, probably less, so it does drain, but barely. How worrisome is this situation?

Pulling the cabinet out at this point (we don't have counters yet) would not be too bad. I am only hesitant based on the if-it's-not-broke principle and the fact that we'd have to cut into 60 year old galvanized pipe. But if 7 out of 10 plumbers were to say, better do that now, then I would do it.

drain is barely higher than the main drain.

What does this mean. To a plumber "main drain" is where all the fixtures come together. Toilets, sinks, showers and ?? head out to city sewer or septic system

Pictures might help

Reactions: SHR
Ok, here's a picture.

Sorry for my mis-use of terminology. I guess I should have said the rough-in drain outlet (?) is only a little lower than the sink drain

IMG_2431.JPG

Even if that setup is working right now I would give that accordion a month before it clogs. Also your trap is backwards among other things that are wrong with this setup but if it works...

OMG I can't unsee that. I will not be able to sleep tonight. Everything is wrong with your drain piping. You are over your head, hire a plumber. And I do not give that advise often or lightly.

ooookaaay, think I'll just be moving on here.

Thanks for the sketch Frodo

dont freak out,,,you would not believe how many times we see that same situation. just to have the op, say is to much trouble to deal with..

if you want to lower the drain, pull your cabinet, or cut the back out of it.

post pictures, we will walk you thru it.

"Should I worry about it?"
"Yes"
"Too much work, thanks"

When people do this it makes me wonder why they bother asking advice. It will just be "I told ya so" down the road when it's clog after clog after clog

Look, sorry about my snotty comment. In hindsight I was mostly reacting to SHR's response who, to my mind, lost the focus of the question, which was about the height of the waste outlet, not my or my contractor's work (he's partly responsible for what's under the sink). I never said I wanted to do the work myself. And I threw the stupid flex trap in on a rushed Sunday afternoon after weeks of cooking and cleaning in our utility room because we just wanted to see if the sink and dishwasher would drain at all. When they did, it wasn't immediately clear how bad the situation might be, so I posted my question, and, unfortunately, the picture. But no worries, after more research, I get it. I have our very trusty plumber coming in a week to lower the tee.

Look, sorry about my snotty comment. In hindsight I was mostly reacting to SHR's response who, to my mind, lost the focus of the question, which was about the height of the waste outlet, not my or my contractor's work (he's partly responsible for what's under the sink). I never said I wanted to do the work myself. And I threw the stupid flex trap in on a rushed Sunday afternoon after weeks of cooking and cleaning in our utility room because we just wanted to see if the sink and dishwasher would drain at all. When they did, it wasn't immediately clear how bad the situation might be, so I posted my question, and, unfortunately, the picture. But no worries, after more research, I get it. I have our very trusty plumber coming in a week to lower the tee.

Excellent idea. When a general contractor or kitchen/bath guy includes plumbing in their work, the customer usually ends up with what you show in your pictures.
It's a good thing, seriously, that you came to a forum and looked for advice because we DO see this a lot. Most people live with it for a little while because it "works", but it ends up causing huge problems down the road and will cost even more money than the original installation to correct.
I had the same reaction when I saw the photo and other visitors will be able to learn from this information when they need help, too.
Good luck with the plumber, hope he gets it done for you.:)

and your not suppose to teflon tape compression angle stops. to do that means there is a problem. the instructions on an angle stop says do not use tape or pipe dope.

Latest posts

Back