what connector to use on this pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTF0606

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to replace piping that is for the washing machine drainage. I pulled out a copper pipe that was inserted with a metal threaded ring. I tried to screw in a threaded pvc pipe adaptor, but it would not thread due to the single ridge inside the sewage pipe pictured below.. So was wondering what kind of connector i should be using here.

Thanks
8a9f923a-534b-46d2-ab43-ca7576baf289.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
416b45a2-8cd9-47e0-8970-a347ba34059f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It appears to be PVC above the cast iron sweep, so I would cut the sweep low and use a no-hub coupler that will fit over the cast and reduce(4" to 3") to a new PVC sweep. Can't see what is below or what kind of access you have but by just what is in sight that would be an easy and trouble-free option.

That is all a cast iron pipe that goes from in the ground to in the attic

That is an old "lead and yokum" drain pipe, sanitary tee (santee). A threaded cast iron waste pipe would thread into those threads, possible a kitchen sink or lavatory sink. The old lead and yokum used a road type stuffing that was pounded into the joint and then melted lead was poured into the connection to seal the joint.

Last edited:
I would put a pair of close quarter cutters on the bottom of that tee, snap it, and snap the pipe coming out of the top of it as well and no nub in a new no hub san tee ( with section of pipe iff necessary. if you dont have a pair of ridgid 226 or equivalent available, buy a pack of cast iron sawxall blades and go at it, get that tee out of there.

just an opinion from a dumby.

I would put a pair of close quarter cutters on the bottom of that tee, snap it, and snap the pipe coming out of the top of it as well and no nub in a new no hub san tee ( with section of pipe iff necessary. if you dont have a pair of ridgid 226 or equivalent available, buy a pack of cast iron sawxall blades and go at it, get that tee out of there.

just an opinion from a dumby.

If that's XH cast iron no hub coupling won't fit.

If that's XH cast iron no hub coupling won't fit.

I would've screwed myself on that one. I probably would've ended up having to replace a lot more pipe after cutting that out and realizing a no hub will not fit.

Back