Unclog Shower with POP UP drain plug

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deyainrdy4ds

Reaction score
Hey everyone. First post here.

I tried googling and searching around but didnt have much luck with find information on how to unclog my shower which has a pop up drain plug. I was able to remove the drain plug but now how I clean it? I tried getting a screwdriver and even drain snake down there but it feels like its just hitting something hard so I'm not really getting anything out. I tried snaking through the circular hole on the vertical wall of the tub too. The snake seems to stop at something hard but isnt grabbing anything.

Any help would be much appreciated since the shower is 100% clogged and water wont even go down now. Thanks!

Last edited:
It needs to be snaked through the overflow wit a small power snake.

what size snake? no way i can use this manual auger one i purchased? and any idea what that hard wall i seem to be sitting it? is it just a bend in the pipe?

I have been doing it for a good number of years and have never not been able to clear a tub drain.

can i rent one from home depot/lowes? is it the same concept of just snaking it down there except this one will be powered instead of turned by hand

Use a 1/4" or 3/8" snake. And the hard thing is the trap. No way of getting around it since its part of your plumbing system. Without it you would have sewer gasses coming from your drain. Get a cable that's about 5 ft and attach it to a drill. Snake from the overflow. Put a small 45* bend on the very tip of the end of the cable. This will get you through the trap.

Most clogged tubs are a result of hair. Remove the tub stopper and clean out all the hair and gunk. If there is no hair the put a plunger on the drain and push water through it hard.

This should unclog it. If it doesn't most likely it further down stream and beat idea would be to call a plumber who has a good name for themselves.

Latest posts

Back