odor in back yard

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umut

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I hope I wasb able to attach the picture of the plumbing in the backyard of the house we just bought.
In this area ocassionaly there will be a sewer smell.

The cleanout plug is not on snuggly it just sits theren because of bad threads
What i am wondering is: does it need to be snuggly plugged? Could that be the cause for the occasional smell?

The open pipe in the ground with another pipe feeding into it is the backwash line for the pool, when I backwash/drain the pool i see water flowing through if i look down the cleanout. Do i need to cap that pipe as well?

All drains in backyard ground and the downspout shown in attachment also go through the cleanout, is that ok?

Finally, a day or two after the rain if i look down these inground drains, i see standing water is that suppised to happen? Why wouldnt it just. Flow away?

Thanks
Umut

IMAG0526.jpg

Last edited:
Ok now i added the picture. Looking forward to some help from yall.
Thanks

Yes, the loose fitting cleanout cap could be the source of the occasional smell, if there is no breeze to move sewer gas away.

From your description, the pool backwash drains into the sewer? I am surprised that it does, but if it does, that pipe needs to have a vented trap, or it will allow sewer gas out as well.

Thanks phidhfood.
Please also look at these pictures.if you look along the wall on the ground, thete is a strip of perforated pladtic, that also drains into sewer.
Seems to work fine.

In the second picture, that circular drain it also goes to sewer, when i look down on it, i can see zome standing water. Is that expected?

We had heavy rain the day before and drains did a goid job, so i wasnt expecting to see any water.

Thanks
Umut

1407001835435.jpg

1407001933062.jpg

i dont believe your home is up to code. storm water is not suppose to be connected to the sewer system. they need to be seperate

Latest posts

Back