Crossing over copper water pipes in attic?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeph

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm moving a gas range 16ft across a room in a kitchen remodel. Both water (copper piping) and gas lines (3/4" black iron) are in the attic overhead. My straightest path to the new range location would result in gas pipe resting directly on both copper water pipes (perpendicular crossing), which run across the joists of the attic floor. The alternate path, by the wall, would have the gas line running on top of (and parallel to) the 3 electric supply lines for the kitchen (yikes!).

So after 2 days of research (and reading the entire gas section of California plumbing code's gas section, twice), it seems I have these options:

A. Elbow(90°) over the water pipes, and back down after them
(5" bridge __l---l__ ).

or

B. Elbow down (45°) down and run under the water pipes and continue straight to target. --\_________

Since plan B means having my gas line resting against the ceiling drywall, I'm concerned about possible puncture from future attachments to kitchen ceiling or problems with placing the recessed lighting later.

So is plan A my best option here? I've read dozens of forums, asked a contractor, and exhausted every resource...

Thanks for your time and advice.

JB

Last edited:
You cannot have your piping touching for multiple reasons so the best way to go would be option A you run your gas pipe along the joist securing it to joist. Once you get to water piping, 90 up and over water and then back down once it's cleared returning to joist to run remainder of pipe and secure. You could also- so there is no need for 90s causing flow restriction- add 2x4s to each joist building it up just for the gas and then securing pipe to that so it will travel over water no problem which is my preferred method

Last edited:
You cannot have your piping touching for multiple reasons so the best way to go would be option A you run your gas pipe along the joist securing it to joist. Once you get to water piping, 90 up and over water and then back down once it's cleared returning to joist to run remainder of pipe and secure. You could also- so there is no need for 90s causing flow restriction- add 2x4s to each joist building it up just for the gas and then securing pipe to that so it will travel over water no problem which is my preferred method

Thanks for the reply. I am going with the elbow-over method, so the gas line stays low (or lower than raised on supports 4" above the attic "floor level"), with less tripping potential where I'll be spending many hours
running electrical, hood venting, and lighting.

Last edited:
Can you just add some blocks of wood to raise the gas line over the water lines

XXX.jpg

Last edited:
Back