Additional vent?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanmanz31

Reaction score
About a year ago my wife, two kids and myself moved in with grandma. her home had been empty for a few years so all the new activity was causing damage. Grandma has a shower stall that was leaking severely. It was so bad it had rotted the subfloor completely. I pulled up everything got rid of the mold and put in new subfloor. Since I was already in there I figured I\'d fix her slow flush toilet. This toilet has NEVER flushed with enough force. I have replaced all the internals for the toilet as well as thoroughly cleaned the internals. Its gotten better but still not acceptable. My next step is replacing the old cast iron drains with pvc. They really need to be replaced anyway. I feel like my flushing issue is due to the vent pipe. There are 2 bathrooms in the home. They are back to back in the layout. The other toilet flushes fine. The drain lineup from main to end is: #1 other toilet + his/hers sink, vent + grandma sink, grandma toilet, other tub, grandma shower stall, end with cap. My thought is that since her toilet is behind the vent its not able to breathe properly. The tub and her shower also drain slowly. Everything in front of the vent drains and flushes like it should. I\'m attaching pics to help.

let me know your advice guys n gals

IMAG4293.jpg

IMAG4294.jpg

IMAG4295.jpg

The location of the vent in relation to those slow draining fixtures is not causing your problem. Nothing jumps out at me from the pictures. It is possible that there is a stubborn clog between Grandma's toilet and the vent.

The location of the vent in relation to those slow draining fixtures is not causing your problem. Nothing jumps out at me from the pictures. It is possible that there is a stubborn clog between Grandma's toilet and the vent.

possible but unlikely. ive snaked from toilet down and from outside cleanout up. ill take another swing at it in the next couple days.

If the other tub drains fine, your problem is more than likely at Grandma's fixtures traps(Sink, Shower & Tub traps). Run a cable through each trap. As far Grandma's toilet ,The trap way may have build-up in it or the jet holes may have blockage/build-up. Try pouring a couple of 5 gallon bucket of water down the toilet, if the toilet accept the bucket of water fairly quickly the the toilet is the issue.

i snaked again and dont see any reason it would be hindered when flushed.

i have completely disassembled the toilet and cleaned every port and crevice. i got elbow deep with it. we are real close now.

i dont know what else it could be. im running 3" pipe which should be plenty big. and ive cleaned everything that could possibly cause a clog. my last guess would be the additional vent.

ok so i went to my helpful hardware place who is thinking it may be venting issue. i know those guys arent plumbing pros by any means but he seemed to understand my thoughts. he recommended a studor vent instead of a full vent to the attic.

im out of options and this to me is the logical way to go.

ive thoroughly cleaned toilet
all new internals for tank
tested different water amounts
tried pouring bucket in bowl
snaked everywhere

any thoughts?

Did it flush when you dumped a bucket of water into the bowl at a fast rate? If it did the water passages in the bowl a plugged. Just cleaning the holes on the rim doesn't solve the problem.

It has just been my experience that venting is almost never the cause of drainage problems. If you had fixture traps being siphoned out when other fixtures were discharged, then I would be thinking about venting, but you haven't mentioned that problem.

What are you using to snake the drain line? If you aren't using a power snake with at least 1/2" innercore cable and 2 1/2" head minimum, then you aren't ensuring that the drain line is wide open.

Just look at your 3rd picture, and ask yourself, if the other toilet flushes fine with the vent where it is, why wouldn't Grandma's toilet flush just fine as well? The vent location as is will relieve both positive and negative pressure that might be produced when Grandma's toilet is flushed.

I really don't think that you have a venting problem, considering that all of the other fixtures seem to be working fine.

Did it flush when you dumped a bucket of water into the bowl at a fast rate? If it did the water passages in the bowl a plugged. Just cleaning the holes on the rim doesn't solve the problem.

same extremely slow draining no swirling

It has just been my experience that venting is almost never the cause of drainage problems. If you had fixture traps being siphoned out when other fixtures were discharged, then I would be thinking about venting, but you haven't mentioned that problem.

What are you using to snake the drain line? If you aren't using a power snake with at least 1/2" innercore cable and 2 1/2" head minimum, then you aren't ensuring that the drain line is wide open.

Just look at your 3rd picture, and ask yourself, if the other toilet flushes fine with the vent where it is, why wouldn't Grandma's toilet flush just fine as well? The vent location as is will relieve both positive and negative pressure that might be produced when Grandma's toilet is flushed.

I really don't think that you have a venting problem, considering that all of the other fixtures seem to be working fine.

i used a 1/2" line but not a larger head probably about 1" and it wasnt a power snake.

only reason im on this venting thing is the fact that problem toilet, my tub, and grandmas shower stall all 3 drain slower than im used to. the shower and tub never need to drain as much as fast as the toilet. therefore never been a concern. however the other toilet, grandmas sink and kitchen sink all drain correctly. these are all in front of the vent on the line up heading out of the house. all of the slow stuff is behind the vent. im assuming the water coming through the pipe is restricting the airflow from the vent. almost like a finger on a straw.

seeing as how the cast needs to be replaced anyway im probably going to cut of just after the vent and redo grandmas toilet, my tub, and her shower all pvc with the studor vent.

Last edited:
Pull Grandma's toilet then test all other drains while toilet is removed , also pour three 5 gallons bucket of water down the toilet drain while toilet is removed. Post finding.

Pull Grandma's toilet then test all other drains while toilet is removed , also pour three 5 gallons bucket of water down the toilet drain while toilet is removed. Post finding.

Pulled the toilet and reinforced seal. Dumped bucket and flowed fine. Must be toilet.

Noticed something plugged up on the under side of the toilet.

www.dropbox.com/s/aojbwq5mmwp0dau/IMAG4352-picsay.jpg

The little siphon jet at the bottom of the bowl on the inside was filled also.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back