Iron Filters

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stelar

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in proces to have instaled an Water Rhite Impresion series IMB and it seems that I have lots of Iron from my well. Will this work? I am very confused because I had many companies testing my water and try to sell me eveything and at any price. I just do not know what is the best Iron remover for me. I have received resultes for Iron test starting from 4ppm to 14ppm and I just don't know what is the true. Can you advise me what capacity of filter I need for a 2 stoies house , 3 baths, 3 people and with Iron bewtween 4 and 14 , no sulfur and PH 7. I also intend to add a water softner after Iron filter.
Do you know prices for Impression series?
Which Iron filter is more efficient, Water right or Iron Zapper? Which one is more expensive?
Thank you for your time

Confusing, isn't it?

I went through the same thing and asked for advice here also.

You have had a water analysis done correct?

.pdf it and post it here and it will make it easier for a pro to help you.

If you want to E-Mail me ([email protected]), I will recommend a system/company I had good results from.

Generally a water softener will remove iron as well as calcium and magnesium. water softeners are generally sized based on the amount of minerals in the water. So your typical single family residence model should work fine with well water. Larger models will go longer between regenerations.

Base it on the number of people in the house and not the number of fixtures.

Me I would go with just the water softener, but YMMV

I am not an expert in water softener and treatment systems, but I do find some websites can be very educational as long as the information remains unbiased towards a particular product.
I am in no way promoting a brand of softener, but this site seems to have some useful information that can help you make a decision.
http://www.apswater.com/how_to_select_a_water_softener.asp

I am not familiar with the names you mentioned, but anybody in the business can buy a control head and call it anything they want. We buy our softeners in pieces. The head, the tank, and the mineral are all made by different companies, so it can get confusing. Well known brands are generally proprietorial which means you are married to them when the unit quits working.

You should really go to a local lab and have your water tested for Iron, Hardness and PH. They will do a much better job than some snake oil salesman sitting on your couch with his scary test kit. There is a lot more salesmanship that goes into softener sales than actually getting to the real problem and trying to solve it.

I have been selling and installing water filtration for over 50 years as a sideline. Our main business is pump and well. We test water here in our shop for customers then make recommendations on the unit that will do them the most good. We offer them the option to install it themselves to save money and give them help on the installation process.

You would be ahead of the game to talk to friends and neighbors about who they used if they were happy and then give those folks a try.

thank you so much for all of your answers. I had my water sent today to an independent lab and I'll have an answer in about 10 days ( they only collect and send the water sample in another city ( Tampa) I'll see from there how goes.
I still need to find somebody that know something about thisproduct
Thank you all again
I am not familiar with the names you mentioned, but anybody in the business can buy a control head and call it anything they want. We buy our softeners in pieces. The head, the tank, and the mineral are all made by different companies, so it can get confusing. Well known brands are generally proprietorial which means you are married to them when the unit quits working.

You should really go to a local lab and have your water tested for Iron, Hardness and PH. They will do a much better job than some snake oil salesman sitting on your couch with his scary test kit. There is a lot more salesmanship that goes into softener sales than actually getting to the real problem and trying to solve it.

I have been selling and installing water filtration for over 50 years as a sideline. Our main business is pump and well. We test water here in our shop for customers then make recommendations on the unit that will do them the most good. We offer them the option to install it themselves to save money and give them help on the installation process.

You would be ahead of the game to talk to friends and neighbors about who they used if they were happy and then give those folks a try.

If your close to Tampa, you can bring a peanut butter jar of water to me and I'll test it for free. Our shop is in Riverview east of Tampa. I could even show you a good softener and iron filter.

If your close to Tampa, you can bring a peanut butter jar of water to me and I'll test it for free. Our shop is in Riverview east of Tampa. I could even show you a good softener and iron filter.

What would you be testing for speed bump ? I just had 2 snake oil sales people tell me my water "might" have heavy metals in it yet when I moved in the bank did a water test and said there was no issue.

The snake oil snakes are trying to scare you and your Wife into buying a Water Softener that softens the water and removes no heavy metals whatsoever. Unless they consider dissolved iron a heavy metal. These guys are a dime a dozen and believe it or not, some companies actually have a school that teaches these people how to convince you that you must have one of their units. Then there is the phone calls to the supervisor who graciously allows a discounted price (several times if necessary) to get you to sign on the bottom line. Most of these dudes will not leave your home until they have that signature and your credit card info. I don't know if this is true in all States, but here in Florida you have three days to back out of any contract like that.

Bottom line. They are there to sell you a softener whether you need it or not. I have neighbors down the road who have all kinds of equipment around their well. The well is about 20' deep and is surface water. The PH is 5.5 (very acidic) the water has absolutely no hardness whatsoever, but somebody sold them a softener. I refused to sell them anything and recommended a new well (Approx 200' deep) because the surface water is just full of all kinds of chemicals from the big Farm behind my property and theirs. It's the same old "Buyer Beware thing".

To answer your question. If I knew your area, I would know if there was some kind of problem with the water in that area that you should be aware of and we would deal with it then. In my area here, hardness, iron and the PH are the only three things I'm concerned with. If you have sulphur, you'll smell it and no test is required for that. Your nose is the best test.

Each well is very different. Most all of Florida has hard water. It may not be as hard up to 18 grains. If you live in the Tampa area I would look into a company in Odessa called Leveredge. They use a product called Guardian and i works excellent. The company I work for uses them all the time for our well needs, and they will also test your water as well, and advise you exactly of what you need. http://www.theleveredge.com/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back