No hub cast iron Imperfect vent connection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My tub directions call for a tail piece and waste pipe stub to connect to my tub no hub cast iron. What should I be looking for at the plumbing store?

222dc7a22437ef2172eb1a51ff255e17.jpg

How are you going to access the cleanout if you need it?
If you use a cleanout tee instead of a tapped santee and turn it toward the wall. then you cover it with a chrome cleanout cover like the one Frodo mention earlier. I would use a plastic plug though. Those brass ones can be a real ***** to get out when you need to use it.

untitled.png

My tub directions call for a tail piece and waste pipe stub to connect to my tub no hub cast iron. What should I be looking for at the plumbing store?

Thought maybe you had that all figured out. Tried to tell you to use a 1-1/2" DWV brass p-trap and trap arm.

Maybe you can just use a 2" CI x 1-1/2" steel Mission band.
use a brass nipple so just the threads stick up through the finished floor.
The tubular brass has to fit inside the nipple. Then you just use a slip joint nut and washer to attach the tail pc from the drain. The picture of the tub drain above, I used ABS plastic. That bottom escutcheon on the floor lifts up and a slip joint is just under it. You rough it in to high and the escutcheon won't cover it or to low and you can't get the nut on ithttp://www.missionrubber.com/Products/Finder.php?FromSize=Any&FromType=Any&ToSize=2.00&ToType=K

How are you going to access the cleanout if you need it?

If you use a cleanout tee instead of a tapped santee and turn it toward the wall. then you cover it with a chrome cleanout cover like the one Frodo mention earlier. I would use a plastic plug though. Those brass ones can be a real ***** to get out when you need to use it.

So behind that wall is a closet. I was going to drill holes in the closet wall and cover them with the chrome plates and use that as my access point.

Yes a cleanout tee would be easier to access since I can face it the correct way. I'll see if the plumbing store has em. Thanks.

Got a proper cleanout and installed them. The plumbing ship didn't have plastic plugs. Rubbed some petroleum jelly on the brass plus and I'll hope for the best.

David, tried attaching tubular brass and a slip joint nut to the drain body supplied by the tub supplier. Didn't seem stable.

Here's the drain body:

15d19e3a44702c3d03f53f28a94f40a9.jpg

Called the tub manufacturer --> they recommended Island tub drain ITD-35. (ABS)

It allows you to connect a free standing tub to a drain without access from below.

Upon further inspection I found Island tub drains offers a cast iron model ITD-357. Cool video - makes things seem simple.

https://osb.ca/products/tub-shower-WC/tub/freestanding-tub-drains/ID357.php#tab-youtube

d4f3c6187093c8d323530d15960b04ca.jpg

So your tub has a built in overflow like a sink. That would explain the hole in the side of the drain fitting.

I have never seen that type of drain connection. I'm old school and I am often leery of some innovative ideas that are not tried an true.

Good luck with that and I hope it last a long time.

You may want to use a threaded tail piece. use a heavy 17 gauge tubular brass

Latest posts

Back