New anti-siphon valve on hose bib leaks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky472

Reaction score
As in the title, just installed a new vacuum breaker on a new ball valve hose bib. The valve leaks where the valve threads onto the hose bib (left side of pic). Is this just normal for these valves? Or should I take the bib and valve back and ask for an exchange on both? ThxImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1398205774.423024.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it was probably tightened too tight, forcing the washer out of the intended area, allowing the leak.

Or on the other side of the spectrum, it may have been cross threaded and isn't tight enough. Also, if it has a tamper-proof screw on the side be sure it is taken out before installing so that it doesn't drive into the threads and give you the impression that it is tight. Then you can reinstall the tamper-proof screw if you choose.
I usually can put those on hand-tight and they don't leak because of the washer that havasu mentioned.

I'm curios if the photo you provided is the actual bib w/vacuum breaker? If so, it doesn't look like it's threaded all the way on and the tamper-proof set screw is already set in place.

Reactions: SHR
It wasn't cross-threaded, I'm certain. I screwed it on hand tight. It was leaking when I turned it on. I tightened further at that point. Still leaking. I guess I'll need to start over when I have time.

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

I am thinking maybe it is double gasketed and is not threading on all the way. Or you ovrr tightened and cracked the brass

I just installed a bunch of those anti-siphon gizmos, and found a light coat of silicone aided in threading it, since the manufacturer had horrible, rough threads.

I'm curios if the photo you provided is the actual bib w/vacuum breaker? If so, it doesn't look like it's threaded all the way on and the tamper-proof set screw is already set in place.

According to the picture you attached, the vacuum breaker is not even close to tight. I have never been able to still see hose bib threads after I installed a vacuum breaker. Did you use a pliers or channel lock-type tool to tighten it? It's not tight enough.

Latest posts

Back