Toilet overflow upstairs, water leaking through Light fixtures downstairs.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zdenneh

Reaction score
Hoping for some advice with a situation my wife and I had this morning while I was on my way to the office. The upstairs bathroom toilet overflowed. My wife didn't shut it off in time and enough water overflowed to cover the floor of the bathroom. When she went downstairs she could see water leaking from the recessed lighting in the kitchen. She cleaned it all up and opened one of the light fixtures and she said quite a bit of water came pouring out. It's all cleaned up now but I'm wondering, will the water between the walls dry up on it's own? Is this a job for a plumber or will it dry out on it's own? I can't imagine it's any more than 4 or 5 gallons of toilet water that actually went through but who knows. What would you advise I do?

Last edited:
Perhaps if I just remove the 3 recessed lights in the kitchen, that will provide enough air flow to dry out the drywall. There are also several water spots on the ceiling. I'm assuming I could just paint over those when they dry with a stain remover primer and then paint it. As for future prevention, I will regrout the upstairs bathroom floor and reseal around the base of the toilet. Also I will advise my wife that next time the toilet starts to overflow to shut off the valve. :rolleyes:

Problem solved?

Last edited:
Just how often does the toilet clog up and overflow?

Usually it is kids, but sometimes too much toilet paper is used. Switching to 1-ply can help.

If that isn't the problem then maybe there is a partial clog in drain from toilet.

It sounds like you have a handle on the situation. Your biggest threat is not exposing air to all the areas where the water seeped into, which would cause a mold problem, which is bad. If necessary, you will have to remove any drywall and insulation in the lower ceiling to allow it to air our properly.

Just how often does the toilet clog up and overflow?

Usually it is kids, but sometimes too much toilet paper is used. Switching to 1-ply can help.

If that isn't the problem then maybe there is a partial clog in drain from toilet.

Not often. There may be a partial clog. I will investigate it when I get home. This all happened this morning on my way to work. I'm just going off what my wife is telling me. I'm trying to come up with a plan of action for when I get home. I have a snake I can use. I suspect it's nothing serious as far as the toilet is concerned. My main concern is that this could cause water damage/mold. I suspect opening up those recessed lights downstairs will help dry it all out. If I removed the toilet would I be able to get a good look at the damage. As you can tell I have no experience with this sort of thing.

if you dont know what you're getting into then Dont Touch the toilet. people that arent familliar with plumbing shouldnt try to plumb ( no offense intended at all )

if the toilet was filled with .... umm...... product, then i would suggest airing it out fast and disenfecting with a cleaner all that you can. mostly you need air to get at the water and time.

heat and Stagnent air are what mold will thrive on.

go buy some fans for cheap and put them to good use, hire a plumber to fix your toilet. :)

if you dont know what you're getting into then Dont Touch the toilet. people that arent familliar with plumbing shouldnt try to plumb ( no offense intended at all )

if the toilet was filled with .... umm...... product, then i would suggest airing it out fast and disenfecting with a cleaner all that you can. mostly you need air to get at the water and time.

heat and Stagnent air are what mold will thrive on.

go buy some fans for cheap and put them to good use, hire a plumber to fix your toilet. :)

Thanks. I'm not sure how the fan will help unless I cut a hole in the ceiling and place one up in there. I definitely would like to avoid cutting at the ceiling if I don't have to. I will stay away from the plumbing work. :)

Thanks. I'm not sure how the fan will help unless I cut a hole in the ceiling and place one up in there.
Depending on the ceiling, the fan might help a lot.

Things that can absorb water will also act like a wick. If you dry one end with a fan, the drier part will suck water from where it is still wet. If the air is dry, it will help that affect. So running the air conditioning will help if the air is humid. Being cooler will also help retard mold growth.

people that arent familliar with plumbing shouldnt try to plumb :)

It never stopped me as well, provided you have a plan and some experienced people to help you thru the process. We all were new at everything at one point in our lives! :)

this is true, however I suggest that the poster make damn sure they have the water off, and a backup plan, things can go sour very fast..

The Fan ... Just to keep air circulating, this will disperse the moisture into the air.

I agree with you entirely! Have a back up plan, know how to shut down the main water line, know where your electrical service is running, and know how to shut down the main electrical panel. I've really been surprised at how many home owners are totally unaware of these basic emergency procedures.

Depending on the ceiling, the fan might help a lot.

Things that can absorb water will also act like a wick. If you dry one end with a fan, the drier part will suck water from where it is still wet. If the air is dry, it will help that affect. So running the air conditioning will help if the air is humid. Being cooler will also help retard mold growth.

Makes sense. I went and picked up a big cheap fan. Pointed it toward the ceiling and will let it run at least for the next couple days or more. By the way, I noticed before i got the fan that when i removed the three recessed lights I could actually feel a slight draft coming from the ceiling. I figure that is a very good thing.

In total, there are about 4 water spots, each about 1 sq ft or so big.The ceiling is also bubbling slightly in some places, but only slightly, and pretty small. My wife's friend is married to a contractor. He said he could come have a look this weekend. He'll know if it needs any work other than stainblocker and paint.

You guys have been very helpful! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back