Issue w/ well pump, pressure tank or pressure switch???

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmoney1983

Reaction score
Here is what is going on with this persons well setup:
When water is in use from a faucet, the water flows correctly for the first 2 to 3 seconds, then the flow of water drastically slows down to almost nothing, then it picks back up within a few seconds again, and continues to flow at a resonable flow rate. Any ideas?

I am thinking its the pressure switch, I dont believe it has anything to do with the pressure tank failing, as that usually makes the pump contiously run.
Thanks for your help.

It sounds like the tank may be waterlogged. If its a bladder tank check the air in the tank.
It should be 2 to 3 psi less that the pressure switch cut on pressure. if its not a bladder tank, drain the tank dry, that will
give it a fresh start. Also check the line going to the pressure switch as sometimes they get clogged with minerals and need to be cleaned out.
If all that checks out, watch the pressure switch. If the pressure drops way down before the pump kicks in
it may be time for a new switch.

I am thinking its the pressure switch, I dont believe it has anything to do with the pressure tank failing, as that usually makes the pump contiously run.
Actually it makes most pumps cycle on and off rapidly. Submersible pumps especially.

Back