A broken dip tube smells like eggs?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim_S

Reaction score
Hi, New member here to try and get some answers. I bought a new water heater 2 days ago and I'm running out of hot water in 7 minutes. I've now had 2 plumbers come out from the company I bought it from and each person had a different answer of what the problem is. They said from what they can check it is working perfectly. I told them that although new, the dip tube must be broken and the water heater needs to be replaced. One even said that if the dip tube was broken it would smell like eggs. Really? Is that true? And another pushed up the heat to 130F stating that may fix it. I'm wondering if anyone agrees with me. Their reasons make no sense. Thanks.

Is this a gas or electric? It is possible the dip tube is broken. When the hot water smells like rotten eggs it is normally the anode rod NOT THE DIP TUBE. Turning the water up is not a good idea as someone could get scalded. If its gas it could be shutting down at the control valve and if its electric it could be a thermostat or element.

broken dip tube could cause it no harm in them checking it
they are confusing the dip tube with the anode rod
are you getting rotten egg smell????? if so the standard anode
Rod is made of alumium or magnesium you can replace it with
a zinc alloy rod.....I guess there is a plug in anode rode also
don't know anything about that one.....dip tube is a plastic tube on the
cold inlet that goes to the bottom of the tank so it doesn't cool
The wasr to quickly

Latest posts

Back