Nipple rusted onto cast iron santee

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branimal

Reaction score
The nipple is rusted onto that santee good. I hit it with pb blaster and tried loosening it with a plumbers wrench. Wouldn’t budge.

I could pull out the santee and replace it with a new 2” x 1 1/2” threaded santee Pulling the santee out might be a job as well because the copper pipe is in the way. The copper pipe blocking my path is before my shutoff valve - so I’d have to request a building shutoff and pay a fee $$$ to the condo board for that.

So my options are
1. Try to Wiggle out that santee and replace with new pipes
2. Use the existing setup.

What do you guys think?

Secondly, I rotated my santee closer to the vent ducting to accommodate a new vanity. There’s no room to thread on a ptrap.

Is there a coupling style ptrap out there? Has to be some form of metal. No plastic is allowed in my area.

View attachment IMG_9092.jpg

Your never gonna spin it with a wrench cut it at hub then pie cut it to threads remove threaded and use me fitting. If you use a wrench you will break hub or you can hear it up and use wrench

I pulled the old santee out. The nipples threads were cracked and rusted and the nipple is rusted on good to the santee.
When i pulled it off I realized the previous installer cut the 90 elbow before the santee to fit into the space. There’s actually some void space so the line was dependent on the couplings for a seal.

The 90 looks pretty worn so I’m going to replace it.

To get adequate space I need to cut 1 1/4” off the vent pipe while it’s in place.

I’m thinking start with an angle grinder and finish with a recip saw with appropriate blades. Kind of worried about nicking those mainline copper pipes.

I could also cut the new 90 shorter.

Any other ideas?

View attachment IMG_9204.jpg

The gap between the vent and quarter bend is 7 3/8”. It was filled in with a 5 11/16” santee.

Those rubber couplings were holding the seal.

I’ve heard a 1/4” gap between fittings is acceptable. This was a 1 3/8” gap.

If the quarter bend got clogged this could have forced water into the void and potentially started a leak. Any other issues that could have arisen?

Latest posts

Back