Roots in drain dilemma

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EppNation

Reaction score
After living in this house (built '65) for over 25 years, dealing with roots in the drain for the first time. I have already taken care of (well, had taken care of :D) the physical blockage, via a local plumbing company. Now trying to figure out how to maintain without pricey reoccurring service calls. :eek:

I am in FL, with a septic system, and utilize a well for my homes water supply.

ALL root killing products claim they are "Not for sale or use in septic systems in the State of Florida", along with other states, and some other more specific regions. :mad:

My questions are:
Why?
What environmental risks or hazards does copper sulfate pose?
What is the risk of using this product when utilizing a well?

My logic tells me, if copper sulfate was in any proven, documented way causing harm to ecosystems in any way, it wouldn't be available on the shelf at my local hardware store...

Reading in detail the back label of Zep Root Kill states: "The majority of this product will settle in the septic tank itself and little will pass into the leach lines. To treat the leach line pipes add x amount of product to the distribution box located between the septic tank and leach lines."
My root problem is pre septic tank, will NOT be needing a leach line/drain field treatment.
Reading this statement gives me hope that using it isn't going to poison my own (and entire neighborhood's) water supply. None the less, I can't believe there isn't more information regarding this topic on the web!:confused:

Some insight from someone familiar with the product and/or region would be much appreciated!:)

Back