Still in Shock!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akisie

Reaction score
This morning the warm water faucet wasn't turning hot. So, went out to the garage where the water heater is and I tried lighting the pilot, but the flame wasn't coming on, no matter how many times I clicked the ignitor. The water heater is 11 years old. Ok, anyway we had to call a plumbing company out and the tech checked everything out and informed us that the burner was broken and that we'd be needing a new water heater, because the burner couldn't be replaced and that the installation, labor, and all else would be costing us $2000.00?!! I'm still in shock!! But it is late and we can't have anyone else out, because we can't afford to pay for another estimate and need hot water. As it is, we will have to take cold showers tonight! We had NEVER had to pay that much for replacing a water heater before! Is this highway robbery? Or are we being taken advantage of simply because we are seniors? Is this the going cost for installing a new heater nowadays? Thank you. -Ella :(

Get two more prices from other plumbers. $2000.00 is very high.

Thanks and appreciate your feedback, but like I said, the other plumbers aren't giving free estimates and being that we are running into the weekend, we need hot water now. Thanx again.

Seems kind of high to me. Any thing unusual about the location of where the heater is installed. Where are you located? I'm in Southern Calif and things are a bit pricy here but not that pricey. Beside not sure how one gets a broken burners. Take a picture of it . We like pictures. you have a brand name model # might be able to tell you if it's repairable. average life of a 40 Gallon residential WH is 8-10 yrs but have seen many last well beyond 20yrs

Thanks and appreciate your feedback, but like I said, the other plumbers aren't giving free estimates and being that we are running into the weekend, we need hot water now. Thanx again.

What do they charge to come out. Call and ask what a typical WH replacement would cost.

My company charges from 1,200 if were desperate for the work and 1,800 if the coustomer is the one desperate.no one would charge you a diagnostic fee .if you tell them you want it replaced and not diagnosed

Honest plumbers are hard to find .eveeyone trys upselling beacuse they get paid commision.

Not everyone is on commission but a larger % of them are. I charge by the hour.
But if you want a price I'm goning guess-timate more than what I THINK it will take to put it in.

$1200 seems about right for an average replacement

Don't buy because you are feeling pressure. That is dangerous for your bank account. Unless you are in a very frigid climate and it supplies your space heating needs, you don't NEED hot water right this instant.

Probably not close enough to do you any good, but I do charge to come out and provide an estimate. But nothing that compares to $2000. So it is worth the small fee for the peace of mind that you aren't getting bad advice or high pricing.

Particularly with a gas water heater, there are many variables that go into pricing a replacement. Size of the water heater, access to it, venting modifications that might be necessary, all of these and more make a difference. On larger models, there are federal efficiency standards about to be rolled out that are going to come into play rather soon. So, while I would say that I can replace the average gas water heater in my area for less than $2000, I wouldn't want to be held to that in every circumstance.

Thank you guys! It's encouraging to see that not everyone is out to take advantage customers. We live in southern CA, Riverside. The water heater is 50 gals. There was no option given, because as I said, the tech said the burner (the round plate that warms the water and disperses the flames) is broken. He did offer us another water heater for $1800.00, but it only had a 6 yrs. guarantee on it. The one that is costing us $2000.00 has a 10 yrs. guarantee. And the tech still have the gull to try to do up selling by telling us about an apparatus that would keep all the gunk out of the pipes for an additional $1400.00!! We turned it down. That would've brought the total price to $3400.00, for a bloody water heater! The tech also said that Whirlpool isn't that good of a brand, which is what our old water heater was. Yet it lasted us 11 yrs. He'll be out to our house at 10:00 am. My husband heard advertisements for this company on the radio. He is the one who did the calling and talking to the tech and he doesn't have the patience to be taking bids. He just wants to get it installed and over with. Thank you all for your input. -Ella

What do they charge to come out. Call and ask what a typical WH replacement would cost.

The company that came out charges $69.00 for looking at the water heater.

We did call one company and they told us they don't do quotes or give prices over the phone. I imagine that's the course all plumbing companies take out here in southern CAL.

Last edited:
Seems kind of high to me. Any thing unusual about the location of where the heater is installed. Where are you located? I'm in Southern Calif and things are a bit pricy here but not that pricey. Beside not sure how one gets a broken burners. Take a picture of it . We like pictures. you have a brand name model # might be able to tell you if it's repairable. average life of a 40 Gallon residential WH is 8-10 yrs but have seen many last well beyond 20yrs

Nothing unusual about the location where the WH is, that I can see. My Dad (R.I.P) installed the heater that they will be replacing tomorrow. He had help from my husband and they didn't seem to have any problems installing it. That was 11 years ago. We've run into some years now, my Dad is no longer around and my Dh isn't able to do it himself. We are in southern CAL as well. As to the burner being broken? Well, that's what the tech said. The water heater is a 50 gals Whirlpool. Thanks for your post, but the guy is going to be here at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow and we do need the WH replaced by the weekend. -Ella

I know water heater replacement pricing is all over the place, but for $2,000 I would think about taking a California vacation from Minnesota and bring my tools to change your water heater! Sometimes the $2,000 may be a fair price so call around and try to get price estimates from other plumbers. Many of us use "flat rate pricing" nowadays and can give you a price range barring any significant surprises.

I know water heater replacement pricing is all over the place, but for $2,000 I would think about taking a California vacation from Minnesota and bring my tools to change your water heater! Sometimes the $2,000 may be a fair price so call around and try to get price estimates from other plumbers. Many of us use "flat rate pricing" nowadays and can give you a price range barring any significant surprises.

Can't call and cancel, the tech is due today at 10:00 am. If we call other techs for an estimate and they gave us around the same quote or a little less, we will have wasted all that time when we could've already have had the WH in. Think will just stick with what we have and perhaps learn a lesson from this for next time around. Thanx for your feedback. Have a nice Friday! -Ella

I did a little service for a year when big work slowed in Michigan back in 08 and a 40 gallon gas regular vent was 800ish. I believe prices are always higher in Cali. I don't want to call anyone out because at 11 years it is on the clock, but i would bet its the thermo coupler. I probably changed 20 in the year i did service and not once was the burner a issue.

I feel bad for people who have to deal with these service guys who push unnecessary up sells to make extra money. I was yelled at more than once for not trying to up sell. I would actually talk people out of tankless for power vent even though the company made far more mark up on tankless. I hate those things.

Riverside. That almost next door. Almost

The 10 warranty is pretty much the same as the 6 yr. They just, in some cases, give a warranty upgrade just like when you buy a TV or any other appliance. Same heater and it I think that does NOT include labor to replace it after 1 yr. and a 50 gal sometimes takes 2 guys to lift it up on a stand.

Post up a couple pics when it's done so we can see what a $2000 WH looks like and then we can all critic it to insure it's all up to code.

I did a little service for a year when big work slowed in Michigan back in 08 and a 40 gallon gas regular vent was 800ish. I believe prices are always higher in Cali. I don't want to call anyone out because at 11 years it is on the clock, but i would bet its the thermo coupler. I probably changed 20 in the year i did service and not once was the burner a issue.

I feel bad for people who have to deal with these service guys who push unnecessary up sells to make extra money. I was yelled at more than once for not trying to up sell. I would actually talk people out of tankless for power vent even though the company made far more mark up on tankless. I hate those things.
Because we are only laypeople who don't know much about water heaters, (I only know how to turn it on) we can only go by what these service techs tell us. Seems that he had to replace the water pipe and valve as well and strapped the WH to the wall. I would've liked to have had a couple of other opinions, but Dh the who one called the shots on this one.....UGH! Anyway the guy is done, we've paid him and the whole thing is behind us. Thanx all you plumber techs! Really appreciate your input. Y'all have a great Friday! :) -Ella

Last edited:
Reactions: SHR
$2000.00 is quite expensive. You have to ask more services. There must be some charge for your Issue estimation. Try to call a most popular and high customer rated Service providers that will be help you and very sooner you will get hot water.:)

Latest posts

Back