Fixing an old galvanized pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u156531

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 50+ year old 1/2 galvanized pipe that sprung a leak. I've cut the pipe at the leak with the intention of siding a rubber hose over the break and clamping it down on both sides. The only hose that I found that will slide over the pipe is a 7/8 inch inside diameter hose meant for a dish washer drain. It contains lead and states that it should not be used for drinking water. That gap that I have to cover in the broken pipe is only about 1 to 2 inches. Is it ok to use this rubber hose for that purpose or is it really a health risk?

Thanks, Mark

Frodo your link for the coupling gave me a virus. :mad:

Virus_zpsligznljw.png

use a dressor coupling

http://screencast.com/t/iNPK2BbXK

any plumbing parts house outta have one,, tell them you are using it on 1/2 galvin. pipe

I just checked on the link Frodo posted and it checked out OK with AVG and Malwarebites. The little warning only is advising this MAY have adware or Spyware.

Oh, yeah...that's some common malware that has probably been on gendow's computer for a while and took the opportunity when linking to the page to pop up. Most of the time when you call the toll free number, you get somebody in a foreign country that asks if they can access your computer remotely and talk you through the process of giving them permission so that they can remove the virus. That's when they grab all of your information. They will even state that they work for microsoft or some other know software company. Also be aware they do the same thing via telephone stating that they are from microsoft and received an alert from your computer that there is a virus. Scammers that call my house every so often. It's a good opportunity to screw with them if you're bored and want to record your tomfoolery for personal enjoyment.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah...that's some common malware that has probably been on gendow's computer for a while and took the opportunity when linking to the page to pop up. Most of the time when you call the toll free number, you get somebody in a foreign country that asks if they can access your computer remotely and talk you through the process of giving them permission. That's when they grab all of your information. They will even state that they work for microsoft or some other know software company.

He is probably also related to an uncle of mine, who is a king in Africa. He just promised to send me a check for $12 million provided I send him the $400,000 costs beforehand for shipping costs. That's a no brainer!

He is probably also related to an uncle of mine, who is a king in Africa. He just promised to send me a check for $12 million provided I send him the $400,000 costs beforehand for shipping costs. That's a no brainer!
I recently got a call from the IRS informing me that I'm being prosecuted for tax evasion but by calling another phone number I can avoid criminal charges by paying what I owe with debit cards or wire transfers.

If these lazy idiots put as much time into work as they put in scamming folks, they'd be Millionaires.

I recently got a call from the IRS informing me that I'm being prosecuted for tax evasion but by calling another phone number I can avoid criminal charges by paying what I owe with debit cards or wire transfers.

I got a similar call a few weeks back. Something about IRS filing a lawsuit in regards to some sort of tax fraud. maybe it was that extra $5 bucks I claimed on my DMV fees for vehicle registration. :cool: Shhh. DON'T tell anyone.

BTW: IRS watch dogs, I'm just Kidding about the $5 bucks , so don't waste your time banging on my door.

Malwarebytes found these malicious software on my computer. I'm also running the free Microsoft Defender antivirus to see if any other viruses might be hiding in my computer. Sorry about side-tracking this thread.

Anyway back to the OP's question, could a more permanent solution be to cut out that section of pipe and to install a union?

Malwarebytes_zpsi1napwlb.png

Don't apologize for side tracking. Them PUPS (Potentially Unwanted Programs) are a pain in the arse.

I've done many repairs on galvanized pipes using unions and just replacing one segment. I always tell the homeowner that these fixes are only temporary, but also know 10 years later, some of the the homeowners have yet to replace these old, sediment and rust clogged pipes.

yes, you could install a union.

BUT..when dealing with old galvanized pipe. 2 things..when you try and take it out, it either gets crushed by the wrench, or, it twists off because its rusted.

from a repair stand point, throw a dressor on it and be done with it,

from a owners stand point, rip it ALL out and repipe

i do not see any benefit in replacing sections here and there

Ok, So I used a dressor coupling. The coupling consisted of a 2 1/2" pipe with metal washers, rubber bushings and nuts that screw on each end. The leak stopped but I'm not real comfortable with the way it fits. Since it's less than 3 inches in length it doesn't seem to cover much of the pipe. I used channel lock wrenches to tighten it because my pipe wrenches seemed to large for the location of the pipe. I guess I'm wondering how tight the nuts need to be to really make it secure?

Thanks, Mark

Back