Toilet Was Leaking...Now Not Filling - Suggestions?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marzer

Reaction score
I am definitely a novice so please bear with me, but I noticed 2 days ago that my toilet was leaking from the toilet connector as well (I believe) as the turn angle valve. I had turned the valve off, and it was still leaking a bit, but it was late and I came back the next day to find that it was no longer leaking but the bowl also wasn't refilling after flushing.

I purchased a 3/8" comp stainless steel connecter and a quarter turn angle valve with push fit application (5/8" inlet O.D., 1/2" nom, 3/8" inc O.D. outlet) and was looking to make repairs today. ( I just used [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9KLq9_MkcM[/ame] as a guide)

When I saw that the tank wouldn't refill, I thought perhaps it was an issue with the fluidmaster as well, so I wanted to make sure I was on the right track before attempting something new.

I recently bought this house, but looking at the connection, it looks pretty corroded so not sure what to think. Am I right in assuming switching the valve and connector will fix it, or do I need to also look at the fluidmaster?

Thanks in advance!

izuoitQl.jpg

KuB1qDul.jpg

the last picture showes water on top of the supply nut on the tank.

usually, if water is on TOP of that nut, i is leaking from the nut above that one..the nut that holds the ball cock inside the toilet in place

IMG_678toilet.jpg
if it is leaking from that nut, turn off water, take the nut off that is connecting the supply pipe to the tank.

inspect, determine, to either tighten nut or remove the ball cock assembly.

take that nut off,,,pull assembly out, put a new one in,,,tighten nut,,,{IT IS EASY}

replace supply tube...turn water on...pee!!!

izuoitQl.jpg

take a wash cloth, soak it in viniger, wrap around that green/fugly/ valve
secure ash cloth with a zip lock bag...[best you can] leave over night
next day, remove...wipe /scrub clean with wash cloth

Last edited:
Thanks Frodo!

I think it was leaking from A, but it could have been leaking from B and then running off A. I can't tell anymore because the water valve isn't putting any water through the pipes. I'm not sure why there is NO water coming through the pipes anymore, even when I turn the valve to on. This is why I'm thinking it's the valve as well. It's possible the corrosion is from the leak at the bottom of the tank, but I'm not certain.

Inside the tank I have a fluidmaster, not the ball cock assembly. Would the water not come into the pipe or sound like water is rushing in if it was just the fluidmaster?

If the fluidmaster valve was stuck closed, you would not hear water gushing.

Go down and get a new Fluidmaster 400, as well as a new stainless flexible supply line and in about 10 minutes and $24 in bucks, you will be running good.

Fluidmaster 400a.jpg

Thanks Havasu,

I just looked at the bottom where it was leaking and there was no water coming out now even though there was still a little water in the tank. Any reason it wouldn't be leaking now when it was leaking when it was full of water? I have a Fluidmaster 4007A, and I unscrewed it and stuck a clothes hanger down there to see if it was clogged but didn't notice anything. Thanks for the info about the sound of water, perhaps it was the Fluidmaster all along...

More water in the tank = more pressure. Yeah, I would just replace the entire Fluidmaster, which will provide all new seals leading into the tank, and with adding a new small supply line, I think you'd be good to go.

Just an update for you all:

The toilet is now working. I had to replace the Fluidmaster and the toilet connector. I left the shut off valve for now and it's not leaking. I think the corrosion is mostly from water leaking on it.

The plastic connector hose was almost impossible to unscrew. We tried liquid wrench, let it sit, and then used a basin wrench while holding it still with an adjustable wrench but it wouldn't budge. Eventually I took a PVC cutter and cut the cap off and it was a pretty simple install afterwards.

Turning off the main water vain was also a pain, and I had to buy a water main key to help me turn the water back on after using a wrench/screwdriver combo to turn it off.

All in all, I ran into quite a few roadblocks, but I'm glad I didn't have to call the plumber and things are working fine for now. I appreciate everyone's assistance and hope I can return the favor in the future!

Latest posts

Back