tub P trap in a tight space?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copper

Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone figure out how to get a p trap installed in such a tight space? My slab house was built in 1972 and the previous owner put the tub drain/overflow directly into the existing cast iron drain via a rubber gasket connection. I am guessing that there is no p trap in the cast iron piping...How would you bring this up to code? The concrete slab has been chipped away from the cast iron drain pipe. We installed a vent pipe about 6 inches from this overflow pipe. Thevent is all ready to hook up, I just can't figure out how to fit the p trap in.

ps ...I even called a plumber and he said he had no time for something like this.

I have attached two images of the drain and tub. I scoured the web and could not find anyone with a similar problem... TubDrain_CastIronDrain.jpg

TubOverflowSpout.jpg

is there enough length of pipe between the bath and soil pipe to fit a running trap
63996.jpg

There probably is a p-trap buried below.
If you dig down in to the hole ( If you can ) you just may find your p-trap

I made a quick sketch. There only 2 ways that I know how to get the access you need to work on this and it's not easy.
Remove the bath tub, which is probably not likely
Or get a jack hammer and bust out the concrete from the side you took the picture. You have to be careful so you don't break any drain pipe.
I don't see the vent in your picture but it's probably close by in the wall.
Good luck. That is not and easy job even for those that know how.

Are you having a problem with the drain?

tub drain 002.jpg

Latest posts

Back